Abandoned Hoarded Mail

@inertia4 (24844)
What is it with mailmen who just don’t bother delivering the mail? There arena cases of stories just like this from way back many years ago. Did you know that some of the undelivered mail is hoarded by the mailmen themselves? Did you know that some of the mail they hold back is burned or dumped in a dump or even buried underground? How sick is this. The unrealistic, stupid thing with the mail has been going on since at least 1874. There were cases of mailmen who just didn’t want to finish delivering the mail, so they would throw it away. Some mailmen hoarded the mail in their cars, houses and garages. And one story was that a mailman actually buried it underground in his backyard. There was one case of a new York mailman who hoarded over 40,000 pieces of mail. When he was caught he confessed basically saying that yes, he did not deliver it. No other reason was given. This seems to be somewhat common throughout the world actually. People have been caught in England and Germany. These people not only lose their jobs but will spend time in jail. Hoarding mail or throwing it away or burning it is a major federal offense. I looked it up just on a whim and I was amazed to see how many mailmen actually did this. I wonder if there is a fascination with the mail with them people. Maybe it is a mental thing with them. Who in their right mind would hoard and collect other people’s mail? I think that’s sick. One of the stories is that a mailman decided he didn’t want to deliver the mail and blamed it on his bad leg. A leg that was injured in the war. And he almost got away with it. Can you imagine that? I cannot. That is just too weird. Now, in each of these cases there was no mail like bills. But there were bunches and bunches of junk mail. Like that garbage mail we get all the time, magazines and email of that nature. There have also been parcels that were never delivered. Obviously, these parcels have to be items that people might have purchased or were sending to someone. That is outright theft. it does make you think that how much of our mail are we actually not getting everyday. I know for a fact that I used to get lots of mail all the time, now I hardly get any mail. I know not much mail is sent due to the internet and email. But, even a stupid piece of mail should be delivered. None of it should ever be hoarded or thrown away. And one postman actually was tossing the mail into the ocean. Again, almost got away with it until the tide came in. This is something I never knew. This is really sick. Copyright © 2015 Steven Cetta All Rights Reserved Check for all my Posts here: #inertia4posts Image Credit: CoolText.com Tags: #inertia4 #Abandoned #Hoarded #Mail #inertia4posts
• Preston, England
pretty bad that it happens though no doubt the fast majority of mailmen are honest and competent
@inertia4 (24844)
I agree. There has to be some sort of defect on those select few that wind up stealing the mail and hoarding it. Or throwing it away.
• Preston, England
@inertia4 they need to monitor staff closely - it's usually new starters and staff close to retirement who get so desperate
@inertia4 (24844)
@arthurchappell They need to go through mental evaluation from time to time then.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Wow tossing it into the ocean too? I have heard of only one, I did not realize there were so many of them that hoard mail like this. I never trust this mailman here he is grumpy and I often think that he does not deliver all the mail.
@inertia4 (24844)
It is a strange thing really. I had no idea it was that bad until I read about it. Makes you wonder really about our mailmen.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@inertia4 Yes it does.
@inertia4 (24844)
@TiarasOceanView It's just simply crazy that these mailmen do this.
That will surely happen when the mailmen are already tired . So , i can say that it's advantageous that we have now the email .
@inertia4 (24844)
Tired? No. These mailmen are screwed up in e head or something. They must need mental help. Who would want to hoard mail.
@inertia4 I agree with you . They could have some cuckoo on their head doing that .
@inertia4 (24844)
@SIMPLYD I winder how they find these workers. I guess their screening process isn't very good.
@GreatMartin (4031)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I can honestly say as far as I know I have always had my mail/packages delivered and received though it might have happened an I never knew it!! I did have a weird thing happen this week--I mailed a check and bill for one of my credit cards--right address--right amount of postage--return address and it was never delivered except BACK to me!!! LOL
@inertia4 (24844)
That's not that strange. One digit might have been off or they just threw it into a return to sender pile or something. But I also never seemed to have anything not delivered to me. I just find this as a very odd thing for these mailmen to do.
@Marcyaz (37275)
someone did a boo boo then if it came back to you.
There was a mailman in my area that was keeping envelopes that looked like great ting cards thinking they had money in them. He took the money and threw the cards away.
@inertia4 (24844)
See, some of those mailmen are just plain creeps. Even though he stole the money, that makes more sense than hoarding the mail. What's up with that.
@Marcyaz (37275)
Wow opening up other peoples mail he should go to jail for that.
@inertia4 (24844)
@Marcyaz You're right, opening mail is a federal offense and they should go to jail. But one has to prove first that they actually did it.
I simply can't believe those mailmen had the audacity to hold back the mail then destroy them,don't know if it had crossed their minds that what they did might make many families be in a sorry plight if they were mail of asking for help.There might be a lot of scenarios you never can count on from that.
@inertia4 (24844)
It seems those mailmen just don't care. They are weird, strange and very creepy to do something like that.
@mommaj (22353)
They should have burned it. Who would have found out unless they had a guilty conscious. Just saying. I don't think anyone should get away with this even if it was all junk mail.
@inertia4 (24844)
I know. But this stuff happens. As a matter of fact, here in NYC, in Queens to be exact, just before christmas, they caught a mail man stealing mail and throwing some out into the garbage. I find that very odd. Why bother.
@mommaj (22353)
@inertia4 Wow! I guess they really didn't want to carry the mail and deliver it! Why become a mail carrier? I guess they just wanted the paycheck.
@inertia4 (24844)
@mommaj That's what it sounds like to me. And maybe one of the requirements are being crazy to be a mailman. LOL. It just don't make any sense to me.
@fishtiger58 (24291)
• Momence, Illinois
It's pretty amazing what some people try to get away with.
@inertia4 (24844)
It is amazing. I couldn't believe that when I first read an article about this. But we do live in a screwed up world.
@fishtiger58 (24291)
• Momence, Illinois
@inertia4 Indeed we do, it's really a shame.
@inertia4 (24844)
@fishtiger58 Well, time moves forward. And we just deal with whatever there is to deal with.
thats awful if they do ot like doing their job then they should q uit not toss peoples mail aways.
@inertia4 (24844)
It is awful. I know. But these people do this stuff. I was amazed when I read that article. I didn't think it still happened. But it still does.
@inertia4 all I can say is shame on them
@inertia4 (24844)
@Hatley That's about it. I guess this kind of thing will always go on.
@Marcyaz (37275)
I pretty much know when I have mail coming and if it doesn't show up in a reasonable period of time I call to find out where it is or has it been sent out already.
@Marcyaz (37275)
@inertia4 Well of course your mailperson knows your name and address that is how they deliver the mail but I would think if you have some important piece of mail coming and it doesn't show up you would call to see if it had been sent out. If it was sent out and should have arrived at your home then you would put a trace on it.
@Dalane (710)
The last few weeks we have only received five pieces of mail at our house. I suspect is is because our mail carrier does have a bad leg and doesn't like walking in the cold and the snow. I have reported it to the post office in person but they have not given me any information. There is definitely something wrong here.
@inertia4 (24844)
We have also been getting less mail than we normally get. I know the post office by me, the one that services our area is not a good one. And they always screw things up. Who knows what's happening. I hope that the mail isn't being stolen or thrown away.
I heard about a few cases here in Canada. They should go to jail.
@inertia4 (24844)
They should. It is actually a federal offense. I was amazed when I read the stories about these people. I have said before that they should make a movie about this.
@rakski (2622)
not good huh.