Shrinking it down to size.

@xFiacre (7441)
Ireland
In my mind Christmas lasts for a day though I'm willing to concede Christmas Eve and perhaps Boxing Day. So it irritates me no end that people are already getting themselves in a bit of a dither about it. This year we have decided to make a concerted effort to keep things in proportion, though not many others are being persuaded. I'm accepting no invitations to Christmas dinners or parties other than the Undertaker's Dinner that I am habitually invited to and which is a really good night. My wife and I will treat ourselves to a special lunch about a week before Christmas Day and that's all apart from the day itself. I just don't get all that fuss and blow. What about you?
• Denmark
The months-long pre-Christmas period is horrible! It's only big business.
@valmnz (13123)
• New Zealand
@MALUSE our shops are starting to show signs of Christmas already.
@xFiacre (7441)
@valmnz Our shops are starting Halloween but there are strains of Christmas mixed in with it. Foul.
@xFiacre (7441)
@MALUSE and everyone says they disapprove yet they still play along! I don't.
I do not mind getting into the "Christmas spirit" for the month of December. I like the holiday music, and people tend to be in a more cheerful mood, which is nice. However, I also want to celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving, but these holidays are getting pushed aside and overpowered by Christmas, which is sad. October used to be all about decorating for and celebrating Halloween. November used to be all about decorating for and celebrating Thanksgiving. Now, you can hardly even find decorations for Thanksgiving in the store, but they already have an entire Christmas section set up and filled.
@xFiacre (7441)
Well we don't do Thanksgiving here (how mean is that) and I don't understand Halloween so all in all I find the winter months a drag except for the rain and the cold that drive me into café to scribble and observe.
@xFiacre Oh you are missing out on so much fun, but I guess that I should have known that if I checked your location before I responded to this discussion. I think that other countries should adopt the Thanksgiving holiday, though. It is supposed to be a time spent with family and/or close friends and a time to give thanks and to celebrate all the blessings that we have had throughout the year ... or at least that is how it is in my family. I think that is something that is or should be a universal thing as it is supposed to be an uplifting time to count your blessings, which is definitely a good thing in these times when people seem to be so focused on all the negative.
@valmnz (13123)
• New Zealand
Likewise. As our son has only one day off we're going over to see him and are going to take a buffet meal with us. I do go to two dinners, but they're more like end of year celebrations. I find it hard to get into a Christmas mood. The shops are already driving me away here.
@1creekgirl (9072)
I love Christmas, but with the stores starting so early, by the time Christmas gets here, everyone's tired of it. As our kids get older, I do less shopping except for gift cards. We do have a little 6 month old great-grandbaby who will be fun to shop for.
@xFiacre (7441)
I'm fed up with it already which kind of spoils the fun and the meaning. I think we really need to celebrate the birth of Christ at some other time of the year.
@xFiacre That's probably not a bad idea. Still have Santa and all that at Christmas, but choose another day to honor and celebrate the birth of our Savior.
• Preston, England
I have no idea as yet what I will be doing for Christmas. It may be December before I know