Goose?

@xFiacre (10391)
Ireland
Has anyone here ever cooked a goose? I'm thinking of doing a goose for Christmas this year for a change - I usually do lamb. I'm not sure what goose tastes like or how much meat there is on it and I'm certainly not cooking a turkey.
One year we had the bright idea of raising our own goose for Christmas. We got together with some friends and bought a gosling each (6 in total), and as we had a bit of land it was decided that the others would pay for the corn etc and we would look after them. What a disaster - they are nasty, noisy creatures. They pecked a hole in our back door, and I think we gave them too much room because they ran around and didn't put much weight on. So we ended up with a scrawny goose each, and it didn't taste very good either. Have I put you off?
@xFiacre (10391)
I think the bottom may just have fallen out of the goose market!
@pgntwo (21500)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Never cooked it myself, but have had it once or twice: dark meat, very fatty.
@xFiacre (10391)
If it's very fatty that translates for me as a dirty oven to clean afterwards. If I had my way I'd be back in India for Christmas with something cheap and tasty for Christmas dinner.
@1creekgirl (8368)
I haven't eaten goose, but I wonder where the expression "My goose is cooked!" comes from.