Has knitting become a fashionable hobby again?

@scheng1 (24741)
Singapore
It seems that many young gentlemen and ladies are starting to get interested in knitting. It does seem strange to see young ladies who dye their hair purple, put on nose ring, and have tattoo all over, are interested in knitting. Yet it seems that knitting is becoming a hip and fashionable hobby. It no longer calls up the image of kind, old grandmama.
@cahaya1983 (10036)
Oh wow, really I didn't know that. That's better than playing Candy Crush all day.
@scheng1 (24741)
Yes, that is becoming a trend. I think young people like the kind of challenge that handicraft brings, and they can knit useful things for themselves. Some of them start knitting small items, and they become happier and more confident to tackle bigger project.
@cahaya1983 (10036)
@scheng1 Yeah I remember soapmaking used to be very popular when I was a lot younger, but now the trend seems to be picking up again. I like it myself.
@swissheart (6486)
hey. I guess you're right it's considered fashionable again. do you have this hobby?
@scheng1 (24741)
No, I have no time nor patience for it. Maybe when I retire, I will learn knitting to kill time. Now life is too busy with work, housework, and other commitments. It takes a few hours of quiet time to knit something useful. I simply do not have the time for it.
@scheng1 hmm and what are you passionate about? what's your hobby?
I don't think that knitting was ever dropped as a good hobby.
@scheng1 (24741)
At least in my place, knitting is never a popular activity. For one thing, the weather is too hot for us to wear knitted items. It is hotter than summer in many countries, and the pace of living here is so fast paced that lack of sleep is a major cause of health problem. As a result, knitting is an activity that hardly anyone likes it.
@sofssu (18319)
Wow that would be a good thing though.. I would love to see young people knitting instead of hanging on to their cell phones. I haven't see the trend here.
@scheng1 (24741)
I do not really notice about it until I check the availability of some courses. it seems that knitting courses are fully booked whenever they accept students. Later on, the newspapers mention about it, and I start to observe the young people in my place. Some of them admit that they do not knit in public, but they do like to knit at home or with a group of friends.
@Bella128 (2479)
It's funny how things that were for a certain group can change over time. Kind of like the whole concept of "hipsters", many are doing things that were considered for "old" people like knitting. I've made scarves in the past but it has been awhile since I've made anything new.
I go to a knitting/crocheting group a couple of times a week. The youngest is about 25 or so. The oldest is 72. They come to the group very regularly. There is a lady who comes a couple of times per month and she is 91. I've seen her crochet. I wish that more younger people would come to the groups regularly. I know that there have been some young people to take crocheting or knitting lessons at the yarn store. I think one was around 10 or 12 and was a boy!! Cool. So all kinds of people either knit or crochet. It's just that I don't see them!!
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Interesting. I knit and crochet. My daughter who has purple hair and a few piercings is currently knitting up cowl scarves for herself and her cousin. I think that knitting is just a fun thing to do. It's nice to create things yourself.