When Did You Last Clean *BEHIND* Your Fridge And Stove?

bucket
Denmark
Last month I was doing the dishes when suddenly a drop of water fell onto my neck. I looked up and saw a dark stain at the ceiling. The reason was that the washing machine standing in the kitchen above ours was leaking - has been leaking for years according to a craftsman. The house is about 120 years old. Between the floors there are wooden beams and the space between them is filled with fine gravel. An engineer told us that when the house was built concrete hadn't been invented yet. Be that as it may. The humidity has seeped into a beam. A carpenter will put in a new one. Then the specialist for water damage will do whatever there must be done. Later a painter will come to our kitchen and paint over the dark stain. The good news is that all will be paid by the house owner's insurance policy. But we'll have to endure the noise and the dirt. My husband and I live in the lower flat/apartment but have rented the upper one as well. My mother used to live there during her last years. After her death we let one room, the kitchen, the shower and the toilet to foreign students from Russia, Italy or England who come to secondary grammar schools in our town for some months as language assistants. This is over now and my husband and I will move to the upper flat. Today the big repair started. When the washing-machine, the fridge, the stove and the cupboard had been moved into the next room so that the workmen would be able to move around, the boss said to me, "I'm sure nobody has cleaned behind the things for twenty years at least." He's right, only that the period is even longer. Is that cheeky or what? What is it to him? I played dumb which I can do well. Let me tell you that the older one becomes, the more convincing the show becomes, too. Old people are a bit gaga, aren't they? I told him about the young women we had had here and said I was sure they had never cleaned behind the fridge etc., etc. He looked sympathetic. Of course, they didn't have to as they were only subtenants. We should have done that. But as we don't clean hidden areas in the flat where we live, it would be strange if we cleaned them in a flat where we don't live. The man added, "If you look behind the fridge and stove in my house, you won't find a speck of dirt there." So? I must confess that I have better things to do than checking hidden areas for dust and dirt. I've never done it and will never do it, neither in our rooms nor in other people's rooms. What kind of cleaner are you?
@Inlemay (17038)
• South Africa
Yesterday - when I am sad, or a little offish, I take out a wet cloth and clean, clean, clean, and if you stand still again you will be cleaned as well.
I am a cleaning maniac, I clean behind my fridge every Spring, as I do with other appliances. Now I wonder why I waste my time and efforts doing this.
@valmnz (12531)
• New Zealand
When I saw your title I thought, please don't ask! It is quite difficult moving the fridge out of it's little space. And no, I'm not going to rush off and do it now.
@Asylum (45386)
• Manchester, England
It is a few months since I moved the fridge and probably far longer since I pulled out the washing machine because it is in a recess under the kitchen worktop. I do have a purge every now and then and select a room to be methodically cleaned, in which case both are moved, cleaned all around and put back after the area itself has been cleaned.
• Pleasant Hill, California
The horror! I shudder to think what I'd find behind my refrigerator or stove. I clean surfaces I can see. Sometimes.
@destry (2440)
• Kirkwall, Scotland
Jeesh, don't remind me! I did the kitchen today - but not in those awkward areas!
@prashu228 (16078)
Hello friends, My mom cleans the stove every week, but when it comes to fridge we clean it rarely.I don't remember when we cleaned the fridge.
• Denmark
Cleaning the stove or the fridge is not the problem, cleaning BEHIND them is. I can't believe that your mother cleans BEHIND the stove every week. Does she really?
I clean bihind the fridge fairly often because it´s easy to do it. But I must hire someone to move the stove to clean it. And it is high time I did it as there are several kitchen gadgets that have fallen behind it
@garymarsh6 (11721)
When I get a bee in my bonnet and I am in a cleaning mood I will clean everything very deeply one room at a time but general cleaning is the norm with out moving the furniture. There is an old saying we have here. What the eye does not see the heart does not grieve over!
i pull my appliances out once a month and clean behind them.
I haven't pulled out the fridge or stove in over 5 years. Yikes!!
I move my furniture at least a few times a year and appliances too so we can clean under them.
@simone10 (22294)
• Louisville, Kentucky
The only time I have cleaned behind big appliances is when I moved. My brother has done it before when he gets into his really big cleaning mode but not me.
@WorDazza (8264)
• Manchester, England
We recently replaced our broken washing machine. We discovered a new life form when we pulled the old one out.
First things first. I do not clean but get it done. I have a schedule which my helper follows which includes doing the nooks and corners occasionally but not every day.Most Indian households have this type of set up.
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
I pay someone else to clean. Then I have a clear conscience.
My house is only 4 years old and I don't have a stove, but a cook top and a double oven so I don't have to move anything. If my ice maker is broken we might have to pull the fridge out to check something but I doubt there is much but some dog hair back there.
You took the word out of my mouth.I was just thinking about this the other day. I normally clean around,but never move the stove and fridge to see the rest. I know that will be in a shock when this happen.
I do the back of the appliances in the kitchen maybe 4 times a year.
@Fleura (5108)
We have a gas hob and a separate electric oven which are built in, so we can't clean behind them even if we wanted to. The last time we moved the fridge was when we decorated the kitchen, which was probably about 5 years ago already. I don't think it's too dirty there, just cobwebby.