We're all still here

@troyburns (1430)
New Zealand
In hindsight, starting a new writing venture during the school holidays probably wasn't the brightest idea. It's not that I don't have time, but I feel like I'm always on the verge of an interruption and my concentration ain't what it used to be. But hey, things could be worse. It could, for instance, be the end of the world. That's what yesterday was supposed to be, according to yet another 'expert' on God's will. (And yes, Pat Robertson, I'm looking at you...) This time, the seer of our end times was Chris McCann, leader of the eBible fellowship, who worked it all out from the error in a failed 2011 apocalyptic prophecy. It will perhaps come as no surprise to anyone with a grip on reality that McCann, like thousands of other end times prophets (and at least 35 doomsday references in the NT) was wrong, or at least premature. Good grief, don't these people at least try to factor in Mark 13:32/Matt 24:36 when they're pontificating about the end of the world. Anyway, it wasn't all doom and gloom. Britain's Telegraph newspaper ran a very entertaining live blog as the countdown to extinction wound down, with contributors bemoaning the fact they'd just bought long-life milk or claiming it as an excuse for not doing homework. But we're all still here, and even though these prophecies always seem to have a lunatic taint (hello there, Michele Bachmann) we should indeed be thinking about where the world is heading. If we continue to abuse the planet and its peoples, there just might be a reckoning after all.
These so-called prophets must feel really foolish mustn't they? How do they face people the next day?
@troyburns (1430)
• New Zealand
Do you remember the funny Peter Cook/Rowan Atkinson sketch from one of The Secret Policeman's Ball shows? "Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Urrrrrrrrrrrth?"
@troyburns Oh yes, hilarious!
• Preston, England
I'm setting my prediction for the end of the World for December 18th in the year 3,876,578,432,256. That way no one is going to be around to embarrass me if I'm wrong.
@troyburns (1430)
• New Zealand
Sorry Arthur. I've done the math and you're a week out. Of course by then a week will be four days long and known as a squeg and we'll all have gills and flippers as an evolutionary response to global warming. But it was a very good guess - and no more stupid than any of the others. Cheers.
• Preston, England
@troyburns A week out suggests the world could end at Christmas that year - that'll save the gill-breathers buying presents anyway
yes sir, the sad thingy is that folks keep ignorin' the truths 'n rely on those self-proclaimed prophets instead. don't spark much terror in folks these days. 'wolf' 's been cried too oft.
@troyburns (1430)
• New Zealand
It does make me wonder about the mentality of these people - and goodness knows, there are enough of them. Instead of looking forward to God's rapture, why don't they think about doing something to make the future better for us all?
@troyburns that i aint'n answer fer i fear. 'course, they get loads 'f donations proclaimin' the 'end' 'n not much 'f it goes out to help those in need. instead it lines their pockets 'n pays fer their extravagant lifestyles :(
I remember the last time the end of the world was predicted (it was one of those "big" predictions), anyway, one of our local radio stations played REM's It's the End of the World the entire day. It was pretty funny.
@cahaya1983 (10053)
I wish people would rather worry more about making the world a better place instead. A countdown too? Sigh.
They forget to add the contribution we humble beings make, in their research and just as well, in which case they would have predicted the end of the world even earlier.