I never expected to need a new cheque book

@Asylum (48281)
Manchester, England
Cheques are rapidly becoming a thing of the past for many of us. A long time ago I began gradually changing all my bill payments to either Direct Debit or Bank Transfer, thus eliminating the need for cheques. I have just looked at my old cheque book and the last cheque that I wrote out was July 2011. Today I received a letter from a company that has recently taken over the collection of Ground Rent for my home, so future payments will be made to them. To my horror the only method of payment that they accept is by post to their London address. The last cheque that I wrote completed the book that I was using at the time and I had no reason to order a new one, so I do not even have a cheque book at the moment. I have just telephoned my bank to order a new cheque book, which I never thought that I would be doing again. I had a quick look at the calendar, but we do not seem to be going back in time.
I write fewer & fewer checks too but I still have a them on hand
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I did believe that I had finished with them years ago, until this absurd incident occurred.
• Preston, England
handy if you have no cheque book to hand
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell Very true and if I had thought about it I could have simply bought a postal order and forgotten about bordering a cheque book.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I pay my rent by check, but I do it online. I tell the bank where I want a check to go and how much and they print one up and send it. It doesn't even cost me postage.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
It seems illogical that anyone would want a cheque payment these days, which will certainly create work for the company itself.
This is how I pay my rent too, but it is automatic. Set it up once and done.
This is annoying, how can they impose this old time method of payment!? I wrote my last check back in 2006, the last rent payment before quitting France.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I would have been saying something quite similar until today Anna.
Have you checked the clock? The hands aren't moving backwards are they? It seems more and more companies are switching to the electronic way of doing things. It is not just checks either, cash seems to be becoming an obsolete thing as well. More people pulling out their debit or credit cards in lieu of hard cash.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
Yes, to my surprise cash is gradually being phased out. People have been saying that cash will disappear for a long while now, but I never fully accepted that until I went to Morrisons and saw a girl use a Debit Card to buy a coffee.
@Asylum I pretty much use my debit card for almost everything too and rarely carry much cash
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@Marilynda1225 I always ensure that I carry cash for small items and regular daily expenditure. It is easier to keep track of spending that way, rather than have a massive list of items on my Debit Card.
@PhredWreck (6051)
I have had a checking account since 2009 that I have never written a check against, in fact I've never ordered any checks for it. I do all my spending via a debit card attached to the account. I guess in your situation, I would just purchase a money order to send.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
It is seriously annoying and I was convinced that I had written my last cheque almost 5 years ago. Even more annoying is the fact that I will only have this bill once each year, which hardly justifies having a cheque book.
@Fleura (7191)
@Asylum a cheque book doesn't cost anything tough does it? So you don't really need to justify having one.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@Fleura It is the inconvenience of having to write out a cheque and post it that I find unjustifiable, compared to going online and transferred cash.
• Preston, England
I think cheques and cheque books are being phased out soon in the UK.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I was under the impression that they virtually been eradicated, which it seems is not the case. I still receive cheques from British Gas, despite the fact that I have been paying them by bank transfer for years. Now I find myself having to write out cheques as well.
• Preston, England
@Asylum I still use a cheque book but less often all the time nowadays - I have even made payments by postal orders but that is expensive
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell It is so long since I used a postal order that I had totally forgotten about them.
I still use checks for some of my bills.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I prefer to avoid them if possible because they no longer seem to be worth the hassle.
I always pay all the bills with my checks. I prefer it that way.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
It is still a system that many people like, but the majority have moved away from it now. The companies are the ones that always tried to persuade people to pay online because it saves them a great deal of administration.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I have 2 checking accounts that I have not even ordered checks for. My account offers Online Bill Pay, where you put in the information of the company you want to pay, and they'll mail out a check. It's usually a free service. You can see if your bank offers this. Most here do. I only use this to make payments on my debts, like old medical bills and such because I can't pay the full amount all at once. Everything else I do pay online through bank transfer.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I believe that I could draw a cheque from the bank which I can post to the company and would be charged to my account, but this seems more trouble than it is worth.
I still have the need for cheque slips for payment here. Rather than give cash I give these small guys bearer cheques which they can encash immediately.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
It is pretty much an outmoded means of payment here in England, but it has just been resurrected for me.
@Asylum Is there no situation where payment is made in cash - for example if some labour work is done at your place?
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@allknowing Yes, I would always offer to pay in cash for any work done in my home, but would not expect a request for a cheque.
I would hate that. I only have to write checks for my house cleaning service. I wish they allowed payment electronically, but they are old school.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I now have a cheque book with 1 used cheque and will not use it again until next year.
@Asylum That is pretty funny. The booklet will last you forever, mine not quite so long.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace Yes, it will most certainly outlive me.
There are still some of us who use snail mail to pay bills. My husband usually pays by the electronic way, but I still pay by check or cash when able to.
@Fleura (7191)
They talked about phasing out cheques but that idea has been quietly shelved, in fact I think the scheduled date has passed. I find I still use cheques quite a lot, to pay for things like tradesmen, school meals, or to send as gifts (you can't really send someone a birthday gift of money by bank transfer unless you happen to know all their bank details, which isn't likely).