In The Year 2525

@Rollo1 (16689)
Boston, Massachusetts
I woke up this morning with the song 2525 running through my head. Whoa, a blast into the past. Do you remember it? “In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive”... This glimpse into a dark future by Zager & Evans from 1969 contained a lot of predictions and, perhaps for the sake of rhyme, indicated that man would be around for thousands more years than I personally think he will. But, just for the heck of it, I thought I would have a look at those predictions. 3535 “Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie Everything you think, do and say Is in the pill you took today” Well, the prediction is partially true. We don’t need pills, though. Facebook and Google both tell us what is trending so we will know what to read and think. Then we can be sure we are just like everyone else. Predictive text on our mobile devices will guess what we mean, and try to spell it correctly for us. Thinking is individualism, and society has never appreciated that. Social media was invented to stamp it out completely. 4545 “You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes You won't find a thing to chew Nobody's gonna look at you” This is obviously a prediction about people communicating over the internet where no one can see them and drinking smoothies made in their Nutribullets. Spot on. 5555 “Your arms hangin' limp at your sides Your legs got nothin' to do Some machine's doin' that for you” We are headed into the robot age and driverless cars. Another prediction that came true early, as the song doesn’t expect this to happen until 5555. 6565 “You won't need no husband, won't need no wife You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too From the bottom of a long glass tube” Actually, test tube babies are pretty old hat. Been doing that for decades. Now science is busy growing sperm in the lab so men will become unnecessary and combining DNA in embryos so everyone can have three parents instead of two. So, the songwriters got it all right. Unfortunately for us, the timeline is much shorter than they expected it to be. Personally, you can take me back to 1969. Everything is a blur after that anyway.
http://www.zagerguitar.com lyrics below! In the year 2525, if man is still alive If woman can survive, they may find In the year 3535 Ain't gonna need to tel...
Just the mention of that song and I can actually hear it in my head even though I haven't heard it in years. Crazy what my brain retains LOL
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
It would be hard to forget. And the years and situations seemed so outlandish and futuristic back then.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, I can still remember the melody.
I would be more than happy to go back to 1969... a happy teenager living in a happy time. I remember that song, it's weird how some "predictions" came true.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Actually 1969 was a really violent and crazy year, but nothing after that even sounded right. 1970? Just sounded so wrong to me.
@Rollo1 The year 1969 have seen students riots, but in my country nothing serious, the real problem started after 1970.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@LadyDuck 1969 - Woodstock, Altamont, Chappaquiddick, Manson Murders - anything newsworthy happened in 1969.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I remember this song very well and still have a recording of it somewhere. As with many artists from those days that dominated the charts with a certain hit, I cannot think of a single other song that they ever released.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I can't think of one either. Strange little song with its licks of Spanish rhythms. One hit wonder, I guess.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@Rollo1 There were a great amount of one hit wonders around that period. Many were a hit due to the words and meaning, such as the record in question, so it makes sense that no other records made the charts. However, after making a successful hit it seems odd that people did not at least attempt a second recording, which would have been played by the DJs for a while.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@Asylum I think partial blame goes to the record companies. If they had one hit, the record companies wanted another song just like the first. That's what happened to The Turtles with Happy Together. They wanted another song just like it and the group wanted to do more psychadelic things so we got Elenore, possibly the silliest serious rock song in history, which I think they wrote as retaliation for the demands put on them by the record label. Elenore, gee I think you're swell...you're my pride and joy, et cetera Et cetera? Great song musically, though.
@yukimori (9046)
Now I have that song stuck in my head... It's funny how some of those predictions can be spot-on... but is it predicting the future or modeling the future on the prediction?
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I don't know, but a lot of things we thought the future would hold turned out differently. Remember on sci-fi shows, everyone ate a pill for breakfast? Of course, medical science proved that people's bodies won't run on pills. So we didn't go there. But we do have Instant Breakfast...
@yukimori (9046)
@Rollo1 Considering that my breakfast most mornings actually consists of at least two pills...
@troyburns (1430)
• New Zealand
Great song, and I've never thought about it quite like this. Maybe you'd like to have a go at Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction next?
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Eve of Destruction pretty much sums up the fears and frustrations that consumed a generation. But like the young people who took it up as an anthem, the problems were easily identified, but solutions were not. Mankind doesn't change. I think we're closer to the Eve of Destruction than we were in the sixties.
@pgntwo (21646)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Definitely a blast from the past there. I think I will take a drink to Lily the Pink now.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
The past was a blast. The present is no gift. And the future ain't what it used to be.
Wow, that is an oldie but goodie.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I am not so sure it was a goodie, but it was part of the music of my life.
I always enjoyed that song. Made think. I like to do that from to time. I recall all that 60's stuff too. Especially Woodstock and the, Manson Murders.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
The sixties - never a dull moment. I know we had a lot of unrest, but we hadn't quite dropped over the edge yet as a society.
I loved the year 1969 too, lots of good memories from that year.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
My entire life had been lived in the sixties. I found it hard to accept any change in the decade.
I have heard this song before but only vaguely remember it. I think you have a bit more of a cheery definition to their predictions. Especially the pill part? I feel as if it's more the song saying we'll be fed what to think. That's happening now, been happening for years.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think a bit of humor gets the point across. People rarely read posts entitled "Big Warning, Listen to Me". Social media is just another propaganda tool, eventually we will all think alike. Then the robots take over.
@OneOfMany (12423)
I can't go back to 1969 in this body, I'm too young for that!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I date myself by saying I do remember that song. It happened more quickly than they predicted!
I like your version of how these things are real, nutribullet, lol. I also would like me some car that drives for me