The Case of the Annoying Acronym

@Raelove (16819)
Saco, Maine
I don't know about anyone else, but acronyms annoy me. Have we become so lazy that we can't write out a full greeting or the name of something? The one that annoys me most is RIP, which translates into Rest in Peace. I see it all the time on Facebook and elsewhere, and my instant impulse is to read it as the word "rip, as in "rip or tear a sheet of paper." I actually have to think about it a moment to realize that some ninny is hoping that someone's remains actually find some rest and some peace. Another one is CONGRATS. Is it too much to expect someone to write out the entire word "Congratulations" when someone's gotten married or had a child? Or does "Congrats" just sound more cool? Like RIP... Way back when the state of Maine declared Martin Luther King Day a legal holiday, it started to be called MLK Day. Well, in my warped and literal mind, I started calling it MILK Day. As in the white stuff that comes out of a cow and is said to contain loads of calcium. Come to think of it, that IS pretty much all that's left of ML now...calcium.
@PhredWreck (6051)
Rip In Pieces It all fits in with the lol and lmfao and lship (laughing so hard I peed)
@sishy7 (27666)
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
ROFL! Now the "lship" is a new one to me. Like my mother often used to say, "You learn something new everyday!"
@sishy7 (27666)
@PhredWreck You made the last one up, didn't you? I read it as i-ship at first and good think you spelled it out or I'd have thought it's related to i-tunes, i-phones, i-pads, i-pods, and all the other i-something out there...
@sishy7 (27666)
I'm proud to say that I don't shorten those words. I even say the whole sentence "May he/she rests in peace" and never just the acronym. And I certainly don't think "Congrats" as cool so I always say or spell out the whole word. The only acronym I use is "lol" - and even that I only learned few years ago when I started myLotting.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
With all the emoticons at my disposal, I use those instead of acronyms. They're more fun anyway! I see "Congrats" so often that I have come to expect it now. Not an earth-shattering thing, but more of a peeve. Of which we all have at least a few!
I'm a big fan of LOL
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@Marilynda1225 I have used that one. I am more annoyed with the greetings such as Rest in Peace, etc., that I think should be spelled out if only out of respect. RIP just seems so childish to me.
I must admit I am guilty of doing some of these at times! I may have been annoyed initially, but I guess at some point I assimilated with the masses.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I'm very OCD about the English language, and not only because I managed to obtain a degree in the study of it. This goes way way back to my roots growing up in the 1950's and being taught by the nuns who were very strict about many things. THAT is what I assimilated!
@Raelove Even though I was born here, I was raised in a household of jumbled English and have known many people throughout my life who used English in interesting ways. Maybe that's why I'm a bit forgiving about it - and slowly find myself using "funny language" at times! Interesting how our roots do have a major influence on us. Oh - and I meant to tell you earlier I've often thought of MLK Day as "MILK" as well!
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@much2say LOL! My literal mind just throws the "I" in there automatically. I don't mind lots of acronyms. But I find that, when the occasion calls for sympathy, an RIP seems so lame and hurried. Same goes for the "congrats." If the occasion calls for them, then I think it's just common decency to take the time to write the entire word out. I grew up speaking both English and French, so I have some idea about how a language can be botched!
I am like you, I hate acronym, but this is the way things work now.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it is. But it honestly makes me lose interest in whatever it is some people are trying to convey. It says a lot about them with regards to the time they want to take, or not, to do things properly. I'm just old-fashioned, but I make no apology for it!
@Raelove My husband and I always say we are old dinosaurs, I do not care, I like this way.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck So do I.
I am old fashioned myself and not crazy about shortening everything when writing.
Seems as if words are becoming shorter and shorter these days and pretty soon people will be speaking in the same language they text