When a loved one dies: the painful job of disposing of their earthly goods.

Chile
My mother passed away a couple of months ago and her house and household items must be disposed of. It is difficult and painful. There are so many thing that we associate with our chilhood and with our parents but, of course, we don´t have room in our homes to take them to our own homes. We have been selecting some specially important things that we want for sentimental reasons. Some of them appear out of nowhere bringing with them lots of memories of time gone by. The house will have to get ready to be sold as that was the main asset that my mother had. Tomorrow I will go to separate some clothes that I want to separate to take to homes for poor old people. It hurts to see my mother´s favorite clothes, darned by her. She could buy new ones and she did. But those were special. I am bringing some of my mother´s cookware. I love to cook and I will think about her when I cook the recipes that I learned from her.
@Missmwngi (9583)
• Nairobi, Kenya
For sure it is hard. I have walked the path and i know very well how it is. However don't worry because time heals it all, may her soul rest in peace
Time heals our wounds in part. But there is always a scar. Still, my mother was 92 years old and at the end she was suffering a lot. When iur loved ones die young it is worse. And, most of all, I still miss my husband after 15 years.
@Missmwngi (9583)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@marguicha Yes the scar will remain but always cover it with the good memories of those people. Look at the positive side of things and you will appreciate them for having being in your life. Accept they are gone but always watching over you and in your heart
@Missmwngi I agree with you. And noone can take away memories from us
That is something that I would agree is hard. Not that I know personally though I can only imagine it being my mom. I would take what I want and have people from freecycle pick up the rest. My mom loves to cook and for that reason I would take all her kitchen supplies to my home.
I have to share with my brother and sister. It is not that we will fight for anything, but still it´s difficult.
@marguicha wasn't your brother living with her? where will he live now if the house will be sold?
@hereandthere My brother lives next door and so do I. Her house is between mine and his. My youngest sister lives in another city and took my mother with her in the last year of her life.
Keep what you need to feel near and close to her. I hope there is no fighting between the family members.
Noone will fight for her belongings. The usual sentence in my family is something like "if noone wants this, then I would want to keep it".
• Preston, England
always a sensitive and difficult task parting with their treasured property so soon after their deaths