Which feeling comes across you more often - gratitude or envy?

@indexer (780)
Leicester, England
This question comes down to deciding the balance between grateful for what you've got and envious of others who've got more than you have. There is also the matter of who you might be grateful to: your parents/family maybe? God? Or maybe you are satisfied with your life to the extent that you envy no-one but do not see much call to express gratitude.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is definitely gratitude John. Just to have a roof over our heads and a bed to sleep on of sorts and food is enough to be grateful for.
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Very true. be thankful coz we are alive and having fun
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Tita417 yes we are having fun tita
@Lushlala (832)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Good answer, @TiarasOceanView. you're such a lovely person :)
• Budennovsk, Russian Federation
Sometimes i envy, it is not unusual. Once i even used to write "gratitude diary" every evening. now i do it every week or month
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Wow that's so nice people should do that, I would starting now
@pahak627 (4206)
I like the feeling of gratitude. I am happy for others who are more fortunate than me but I don't feel envious. I am contented of what I have. I only live a simple life with my family and I am happy with this life. This is my choice. I feel happy of the successes of my friends and relatives. I feel sad for their failures. But there are times that it come into my mind the thought, "what ifs". These thought could not be answered. I haven't tried those thoughts.
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Same here. We do need to appreciate everyone's fortune.
@pahak627 (4206)
@Tita417 Yes, and it is always my pride that I am the relative of those who succeeded. Those who failed, I'm not ashamed of them because they are also successful in another aspect.
@OneOfMany (9169)
Neither. Wrath comes across me most often!
@indexer (780)
• Leicester, England
Maybe it's wrath at being asked questions like this!
@OneOfMany (9169)
@indexer I think perhaps because it's a wrathful world we live in!
• Austin, Texas
Gratitude. I'm thankful for what I have and thankful because I KNOW life could be much worse. Thank God each and every day. Envy is just plain stupid!
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Awesome, well said
@salonga (27838)
I would rather be thankful with what I have. An envious person will never be happy and I never like to be in that situation.
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Be contented with what you have you're right i agree 100%
I am never envious but glad for others as by bein nice to o thers you feel better and yo u also sdo well too and being grateful does bring good vibes to you so life is good for you
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
definitely. good vibes around you
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I never been envious! I like to see people see do good in life
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Very well said
@rakski (2593)
As much as I would want to get envious with others who have more, I rather concentrate on what I have and to work on that. I know that being envious will not do any better to me and to anyone.
@Rollo1 (16666)
• Boston, Massachusetts
You can have very little and be satisfied, which is contentment. Being envious is not productive. Gratitude is something that must be practiced. I am grateful for what I have, I don't moan (too much) about what I don't have. I don't feel envious of others, because they have other problems I wouldn't want to take on even if they have material things I would like to have myself. I try to be more practical than that. If my feet are cold, I knit myself some socks. And I am grateful to God for the ability to do so and all the free yarn people keep giving me.
@Asylum (45915)
• Manchester, England
Envy is something that I know very little of and cannot remember ever feeling that way. I suspect that I must have been envious at times, although it is so uncommon that I cannot think of an example.
@Lushlala (832)
• Gaborone, Botswana
I'm generally NOT an envious person. But recently, actually this week a friend told us the most amazing news. To my utter horror and frustration, my initial reaction was out and out, ugly envy! It bothered me because the feeling stayed with me for about a day and a half. It was made worse by the fact that I also found it very upsetting that i felt that way, as I believe that my friend and her family deserve everything they're currently enjoying. I hate when I turn into this huge, green eyed monster. It's a nasty feeling.
@mythociate (13631)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Or maybe I express gratitude so often that no one HEARS it from me---i.e. because it sounds more like "lip-service" than "honest appreciation." And (I know, I'm "going-off on a tangent" ) it really is 'just lip-service,' because I (at least ... everybody else too, maybe; but I can't say for sure) can only "give to you" LESS THAN has been "given to me"! That's one of the things that's unfortunate about being selfless
@rosekiss (30111)
• Eugene, Oregon
I am thankful, as I have a roof over my head, have a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and have God in my life. That is by far what I am thankful for. I wouldn't be where I am at, if it weren't for God, as he has been beside me all the way. Sure, I have had struggles, as we were never promised that we wouldn't have struggles, but he has promised he would take ust through them.I am very thankful for all that.
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
You always have to be grateful for you're still alive and with your family. Envy doesn't count as a humane action so I don't go for envy. Not good to envy but always appreciative of what they have that you don't have