Being Broke At Home

"To be broke at home is better than having money to lose in public." Bernard Zeitler Have you ever had money in your pocket and just wanted to go spend it? So often it is for stuff that maybe you did not need. As a recovering Compulsive Gambler I have become content with the times when I am broke and have no money to gamble with. It is in these moments that I realize that in those early days of recovery all I needed was a dollar in my pocket and I'd be willing to gamble. Now days when I have money in my pocket I focus on those moments when I finished gambling and was broke. I was sometimes concerned about finding enough to get by which, if I found it only sent me back to gambling. Being content in the times when the urge is there and the money is there with simply remembering how broke I would be brings me back to earth. I've learned to be broke at home so I won’t be losing it in public. Remember how it feels to pay a bill and not have someone breathing down your neck. It is better than chasing after the invisible big win!
@Rosekitty (19500)
• San Marcos, Texas
I've never had the addiction you talk about but i in a sense feel i have one cause i wish i had more money to help out my kids and buy little extras for my grands..so a worry addiction i would say??
What wonderful words of wisdom Bernie.
@poehere (15411)
• French Polynesia
I like this. I am always being nagged because I refuse to purchase a lottery ticket or a scratcher. I keep being reminded if I don't buy one I will never win. Well when I look at the piles of tickets on the floor or in the trash I understand why I don't buy one. I see all the money thrown away and would rather use the money in my pocket to do something more fun. Like taking a vacation or buying me a new pair of flip flops considering I don't wear shoes.
@ria1606roy (2648)
• Kolkata, India
A bleak present is better than the unprecedented future. Well said @Berniezeitler We always run to achieve what he must have, and as a result become completely broke or fall in trouble. Enough experiences in this matter ought to teach one not to fall for the trap again.
@besweet (7348)
• Greece
Thanks for sharing your story and the words that have helped you recover from your addiction. I am trying to stay away from addicting habits. My mother used to play the lottery every week when I was growing up. She was just playing once a week so the amount was very little. But I think it had become a habit and she was doing this for years. She never won an important amount and I can't remember when she decided to stop playing.
• Hyderabad, India
Will surely follow what you want to convey
@dodo19 (26632)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Thanks for sharing this story with us. Very powerful words. I will certainly remember this.
• Marion, Kansas
Awesome. When you are broke at home if you have the ones you love, you are rich.
@gudheart (12808)
I am sure this is very inspiring to many people who have suffered from addiction :D
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Yes very true for all of us who has obligations. To try to budget the money for bills and other things.I was tempted before by a friend to go with her in the casino but I decline her offer because I knew she doesn't go home anymore to her family. She stays there for sometime and I am wondering how she can live that way. That's her problem and I don't want to have the same problem as she does. Thanks God
Money has never bought me any happiness, but being at home (and broke) with my loved ones, that IS pure happiness. Just another way to look at it I guess.
@vandana7 (55221)
:) It is scary either way. :) I tend to forego what I can to an extent I can so that I don't have anybody breathing down my neck, or have enough to lose in public anyway. Fasting, I discovered earlier on, is a good way to lose weight, save money, and save face. Obviously I wouldn't fast to gamble. lol
• Bhopal, India
Very well written and explained ... Thanks for sharing Bernie :)
having being poor is like this (like well below the poverty levels), you get a windfall and it's hard to fight the urge to go spend it before it's gone
@indexer (780)
• Leicester, England
I suppose many of us find that cash has a horrible habit of burning a hole in one's pocket! That is why I do most of my spending in cash and never have all that much on me at any one time.