Which Way?

"If you come to a familiar fork in the road, remember not to repeat the painful one." Bernard Zeitler In life we have had experiences that recur from time to time. At those times we have a decision to make that will have an effect on our life. Sometimes we forget our past experience and decide to take the same path as before. When this happens we are often quickly reminded of the results. As a recovering Compulsive Gambler and fellow human being I have made repeat mistakes as much as the next person. I've been getting better at recognizing the 'familiar' points on the road of life. As a result I now consider the results of the past and what the difference is between the two paths. So remember that when you have a fork in the road there is no good in sitting on it (That would be very painful). The path that led to pain in the past is like sitting on it and then not taking it out so that's not good. Now if you go the other way it may have discomfort but it is less painful in the long run.
@Rosekitty (19500)
• San Marcos, Texas
Repeating painful ones are the worse and the deeper you get in it, is harder to get out..glad you keep reminding yourself this..
@Marcyaz (36147)
Yep the deeper you get in the harder it is to get out and find the right path.
@Tita417 (1250)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Very true. We tend to go back again and again to the same predicament. Yes, it should be a lesson learned.But why do we succumb to it. I should admit that I am weak that I go back to the same predicament. But what is good is that we have a God who makes sure that He picks us up when we do.
@ria1606roy (2648)
• Kolkata, India
I've made repeated mistakes too, either in haste or impulse to achieve the expected result. But it never does end well. It's hard to keep in mind what exactly went wrong, but in life, I guess one has to keep track or they sustain the chance to be in trouble again.
@Marcyaz (36147)
Very well said and we do need to keep in mind what has gone before.
• Kolkata, India
@Marcyaz yes that's true. However the lapse occurs when there's that crazy feeling that I can have what I want if I do just this. A lapse in judgement is a dangerous thing.
@Marcyaz (36147)
@ria1606roy The thing to remember is not to go down the same road again .
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
This is so very true. I have been on paths where I had failed the first time. I try preparing myself better for the next time though. This happened mostly at work - not on personal matters. I am stubborn to an extent, when it comes to work On the personal front, I am very sentimental. Once hurt I rarely get back to the scenario again. But in case life takes me there, and emotions take over, I am more likely to commit the same mistake again.
@Marcyaz (36147)
I think it is human nature to think if we take the same path there will be a different scenario but unfortunately it is to late when we find out we are wrong.
• Chennai, India
Yes, it has happened for me also. When we realise that we had let out the pain completely, it is when it picks , prods & gets back to us :)
@dpk262006 (52377)
The crux of your post is that we need to learn from past mistakes and if we fail to do, we should be prepared for the adverse results. More we are in control of ourselves, we are likely to make less mistakes in life. Controlling oneself is an art and some of us fail to touch that bare minimum standard of controlling ourselves. I try to learn from my past mistakes and try to ensure that I do not repeat my mistakes.
@Marcyaz (36147)
There are always two paths and you have to choose one which to take. The one to the right or the one to the left. Just remember which one you took before that led to your downfall and take the other path that will bring you out to the good side.