Would You Live Underground?

@OneOfMany (12426)
In the future I want a house that is built into the side of a hill, mostly underground so I can enjoy the efficiency of the natural heating and cooling of the earth. Being immune to wind and storm damages isn't a bad feature either, and there are many things that can be done to make it a nice looking place! Would you consider it, or would a sense of claustrophobia and other factors discourage you from the idea?
I think claustrophobia could be a factor, but should be able to be worked around. Like taller ceilings, lighter paint, natural lightbulbs, and the living side of the home being on the front where some windows could be. Heck what about having some skylights? They could be tubes up through to the hilltop, and then set as glass covered features in the garden or whatever was up there.
@OneOfMany (12426)
I thought a nice bay window as the from of the house, or tilted with the hill, would be nice to see outside, and then for windows that use a prism system for natural light in the side of the walls with surface prisms that catch the light. Then you know what time of the day it is. And of course, small cameras could display the image you want to see on your wall-mounted flat screen in the living room. Just switch it to the television function when you want to enjoy that instead. The top of your house could be a garden with a little dumbwaiter alongside the passage out the top, to load up with veggies that you could lower down. There are many options. My design would have an adjacent garage that would have a large door to the outside, so you just drive in. Just have to be careful about carbon monoxide, with fans or whatever else to blow the fumes out!
@OneOfMany you could certainly have fake windows with camera views of the direction they would be looking if they were real. Open concept on the front so the kitchen/living/dining were all well lit, granted I'd want super thick glass out there, gotta be protected from the zombies and all.
@OneOfMany (12426)
@Jessicalynnt Have a shutter design as well, so at the push of a button a steel shell would slide across. Say it's for the bad weather!
I would be claustropobic if it was totally underground. One that is halfway there I could deal with. At least a few windows would need to be above the ground.
@OneOfMany (12426)
If it's built into a hill, the front could be exposed while the back farther in. I would design mine with multiple exits, because I wouldn't want to be confined either. But I would like the benefits.
I picture hobbit house with lots of little round windows, lol
@OneOfMany (12426)
@Jessicalynnt I wouldn't fit in a hobbit house!
In Australia there is a whole town underground. It's called Coober Pedy.
Coober Pedy - Opal Capital of the World - Centenary 2015
@OneOfMany (12426)
That's pretty cool. I like the cities that have started to build underground (and the ones that did in the past).
@OneOfMany Coober Pedy is underground because of the unbearable heat in the Australian Outback.
@OneOfMany (12426)
@MALUSE That's a good reason to be underground. Extreme cold and violent weather are other good reasons. I could have used an underground bunk when it was -40 out in winter!
i've 'n aunt 'n uncle back in the hills who live in such. mind'ja, they didn't put much thought into buildin' it. it actually rains inside durin' heavy storms. i could live in a place 's ya describe, but it'd need one whole side with monster windows.
@OneOfMany (12426)
I have a plan for water and radon gas already worked out in my design. I live in an area that has radon and can be annoying for basements. The funny things, radon is a by product of uranium decay! That means there's enough uranium in the soil and rocks to have the form. Kind of amazing.
@OneOfMany amazin' 'n quite scary! yer gonna need one heck'uva ventilation system.
@OneOfMany (12426)
@crazyhorseladycx Not much of one, just a hole in the floor and a passage under the house to the outside. It's a heavy gas, so sinks to the lowest spot. It self-ventilates if you give it the passageway!
I am claustrophobic so I would not even think of it for a minute.
@OneOfMany (12426)
My mother is like that too. She wouldn't visit me if I had a home like that. Hmm, maybe I better start building it!
I might enjoy it if I had one side of the house that was windows and I could still see outside
@OneOfMany (12426)
That seems to be the general opinion. I would have windows in the front.