Advice that Doesn't always work out well!

Having read a discussion by @Jessalynnt , I thought I'd ask something similar with a twist. First here are some pieces of advice with why it might not be good for all people. My dad told me when I was young that I'd always be good if I drove on the right side of the road. I shared this with a friend going to England and they were ticketed for it. Apparently driving on the right side of the road was actually the wrong side in England?? I was told to always be honest with a police officer when asked a question. This served me well until an officer asked me what I was growing in the back yard. Apparently saying 'Weed(s)" can be misinterpreted! It took a while to get everything worked out! Now it is your turn: What advice have you gotten that just did not work out well??
quit stealing my awesome ideas! na, just kidding, just struck me funny how often a discussion one of us starts, starts a trend in related discussions. Honestly is the best policy. This is not at all true. Honesty tempered with truth is MUCH better. Your wife wants to know if that dress makes her butt look big? Maybe not a good time to say, bigger than ever. Perhaps saying, that she has other dresses that look better on her bum, but you really do love the way it brings out the color of her eyes... lol
@Jessicalynnt My go to answer is "What Butt???"
@Berniezeitler when I lived in NYC on the radio they warned that some train tracks were flooded in the subway and that it was not a good day to even take the subway but to find alternate routes with buses. my friend said they were just trying to make it difficult for people and that he had been on the subway and had not problems. I was in a hurry so I took his advice and wound up stuck in the subway for over an hour because of flooded tracks.
@RasmaSandra wow, that sounds unpleasant!
very amusing.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
haha.. Great examples. I was told to always tell the truth and I am trying to be honest with people. I have realised that some people don't like the truth, they prefer compliments and comments that make them feel nice.
@vandana7 (65075)
Hey, not fair. You get to think over it for a long time, and select the easiest ones. Now, if I were to remember something off hand, everybody would start disrespecting me. lol. Kidding. :) I do feel I should have waited before selling some property. Almost 10 years ago. I think for now it was a wrong advice considering the interim boom.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Have a bath daily. That one flopped for me in the summers of 1993-4 when we (about 40) were touring the desert in summers and water was a really difficult thing there. I remember, my brother had suffered a lot due to this. He was more religious and would not take food until he had his bath. But as the stay was for about 40 days, he had to eventually give up being so religious. My take is - advice should always be sought, but then, let the situation call and help in deciding whether to follow the advice or tweak it
@skysnap (17817)
Honesty works in certain places like at home and in between relationship. However for the rest of the life it just does not work at all. I mean if we go by honesty world will fall for us.
@sallypup (27136)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Lively topic. Advice that I gave my hubby this morning that worked well: wipe that bit of kleenex out from under your nose before you go into work. Can't think of back firing advice.
@Tita417 (1238)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I like that cool haha
I'm afraid I can't say, lets just say that the, "listening to your mother doesn't always go as planned."
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
well that is so true about honesty is the best policy till you implement it in a not so good situation the word bum in some areas means others who are actually a bum and don't care about it so this is a good misreprasentation people are bums my son said mom their not butts
• Chennai, India
haha. Nicely put up. It was like having a tennis racket in a baseball match. One thing with the advice is , it should not get the better of you instead you should get the better of it. I am saying that we would need to be more rational in how the advice had to be taken in our mind.
@tessastv (275)
• Inverness, Scotland
Haha. England tricks everyone, indeed..
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
In New Zealand we used to have a saying that said ladies bring a plate to a social function. Of course this meant bring a plate of finger food to be shared. I was at a function once when an overseas person came along with an empty plate. We all tried to not be amused.
@rakski (16365)
None so far but it sure nice to know this kind of stuff do happens. At least you are being honest but in some situations being honest changes the situation so we have to be very careful.
@Tita417 (1238)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
If you don't like where you are right now, MOVE, coz you're not a tree
@Teep11 (7068)
I commented again because they gave me my old account back and I couldn't log into the new one. We can't accept all advices. Listen but make your own decision.
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
Never give a brownie to a Postal worker