Supermarket losing customers because the card machine is not working

@Asylum (48282)
Manchester, England
When I arrived in the city centre today I went into Morrisions to buy a coffee. A security guard stopped me to inform me that they were only accepting cash today and could not accept card payments. This was no problem to me because I always use cash. To my surprise, more people were turning around and walking away than were actually entering the store. I do realise that some people use a credit card for groceries, but I did not expect there to be more wanting to use a card than wanting to use cash. This is definitely a sign of the times, but does seem odd to me. Surely it is unwise not to have any cash available for general expenditure? If the whole system crashed these people would be totally without any money until the banks opened their doors.
@Fleura (7198)
Oh yes you'd be surprised how many people don't have more than a few coins in their pockets. Like you I prefer to use cash, at any rate for amounts under about £25.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I would find it very difficult not to have some money in my pocket.
@kevin1877uk (36966)
Always good to have cash in your pocket.
@Rollo1 (16649)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think most people travel cashless everywhere through their daily lives. Cash has such a nice feeling, but I don't usually have any, either.
Not alot of people have cash on hand. I've seen it happen at two jobs I've held where the credit card machines went down. Many people asked to put items on hold until the machines were up and going again. We are becoming a cashless society as cards offer perks to use them and if you are lucky you are able to pay the cards off when the bill comes or simply use our debit card.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
This is a danger for those who habitually use credit cards, they never really realise how much they have spent.
@Asylum You are certainly right about that! I never thought much about it, I was happy we could keep using the card and kept paying the minimum (if not a few dollars more) to keep in good standing and kept on spending.
I completely agree, I like to use the credit card, but I always have a little cash with me, just in case there is a problem with the card machine.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I find it quite understandable to see many people using a card in the supermarkets at weekend because some are buying a week's groceries for a family at something like £60 or £70, whereas a small supermarket at that time of the week tends to have customers buying 1 ir 2 items.
@Asylum If I only have a couple of items for more or less than 10 Francs, I pay cash.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I did see a woman buy a coffee with her credit card at Morrisons a while ago, which I could hardly believe.
Once a month I go into my credit union (bank) and withdraw $100. I use my cash back credit card for almost everything, for obvious reasons. But I do have cash for little purchases, like going to the movies.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
To my sur[rise many people seem to use a credit card for very small payments these days.
@Asylum It is faster than dealing with cash, and I earn cash back between 3% and 6% depending upon where I am.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace Drawing $100 is a logical thing to do, whereas some people use a credit card for a cup of coffee.
@kevin1877uk (36966)
I always have cash on me, I just can't depend on my card I know many people do.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Exactly my feelings Kevin, it is natural for me to have cash in my pocket.
@kevin1877uk (36966)
@Asylum It is nice and when I don't I feel odd. I guess it comes down to always having cash.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@kevin1877uk In my case it is probably due to my age because cards have not been around as long as I have.
@wiLLmaH (8251)
• Singapore, Singapore
I always carry card only. No cash. Because most of the stores here in Singapore accepts card without minimum amount required.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I find it much easier to monitor what I am spending if I use my card for large items and cash for everyday expenses.
@wiLLmaH (8251)
• Singapore, Singapore
@Asylum for me. It is better to have it all in one card. :) that is the way taht works best for me.
I carry a small amount of cash on me just in case. But I use my debit card for medium buys but credit card for huge items.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
That is the logical approach and exactly the same as I do.
• Preston, England
I only use card payments for big purchases such as computer or camera equipment - basic shopping is something I just use cash for
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I use a debit card for those items as well because you never know how much the items will cost and therefore have no idea how much cash to carry.
I use a debit card and do not carry cash on me most of the time.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
This must prove to be inconvenient at times.