Family moral dilemma

@Fleura (6199)
United Kingdom
Last week a photographer visited Little One’s nursery and yesterday we were sent the proofs to decide if we wanted to order any. As a rule we never buy any of these results of ‘institution’ photo shoots. I have school portraits from my childhood and they are pretty awful (my mother always cut my hair too short the evening before!) At least in those days they had value though as taking photographs was far less common than today, and the class photos are quite fun to see what has become of other people. So far I haven’t really seen the point of buying any of Big One’s school portraits as they are nothing special and not as nice as many other photos of her that we have. But now the photos we have been sent of Little One are really rather nice atmospheric black and white portraits. I am tempted to order a couple, but I couldn’t put those on the wall and not have portraits of Big One as well. What shall I do? The photographer is here: All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2015.
Nursery School Photography by Ian Taylor Photography
@vandana7 (57493)
May I suggest something? I have been thinking of it for a while because of these little kiddos who are my neighbors. If you have old CDs that are of no use, may be you can make an album of them by neatly cutting the pictures and pasting at the center. In the reverse you could write details of the event and anything amusing that you want to add. In the case of kiddos, I got the thought because I captured the little one kissing her bro..so affectionate creature she is..she does not know how to kiss. She licks..lol.
@artemeis (4004)
Better still, why not ask them to burn DVD's and copy it on a portable hard drive to play it on a tablet which can become a digital picture frame when there are hosting guests occasions.
@vandana7 (57493)
@artemeis ..I meant the ones that are too corrupt or store very little data.
@artemeis (4004)
@vandana7 I agree with you that yours are really great decorative wise but it is a little bit static, for some people including me. Nowadays, we all have our iPad and what not which comes in very handy to be passed around than a walk up to view the displays or a bulky photo album. If you are creative enough, you can make it into a fully interactive multimedia slide show with music accompaniment. Storage wise it is definitely less cumbersome in terms of bulk and space demanding. In addition, there will be no issues about the picture quality of the images when they are stored in such a device which are equipped with cloud services to ensure against damages or pilferage.
I know that I would bot be interested to put on the wall a portrait of a kid that is not part of my family. If you like them, it's up to you to decide.
@Fleura (6199)
They are of my youngest daughter though, but it wouldn't be fair just to have pictures of her and not her older sister.
@Fleura I see and I agree, your older daughter will feel upset, even if she says nothing. I know, because Mom has a picture of my brother... only my brother.
@Fleura (6199)
@LadyDuck Oh that is a shame. Maybe you could give her a nice portrait of yourself now? It's never too late!
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
My husband's cousin had a family photo taken, outdoors, on a lovely autumn day. They had it blown up to something like 4 feet across and 2 feet tall. They hung it on the wall over the stairway. It's a beautiful portrait. What they didn't count on was having a third child a few years later. I have no idea what they did with that portrait but I'm sure the young one can't be too pleased, especially since they haven't had another one done since she entered the world. I don't know what I would do in your case. If the pictures are really nice I would probably order them. I love photos of my kids. I have them all over the house.
@Fleura (6199)
The family photo is a lovely idea but it must be difficult if you are the person who isn't featured!
Why not discuss it with your older daughter, and ask her if there are any photos of her that she likes enough to put on the wall? Then that could go alongside the younger one's school photo.
@Fleura (6199)
That's a good idea, although it's hard to get the same 'feel'. We have nice pictures of her, but as far as I can see the main advantage of professional portraits is the plain background! Pictures we take always have some sort of clutter in the background!
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I used to buy the school portraits, but they are often disappointing. I think you could just find a nice photo of Big One and frame it. Take it to a shop that can make it an 8 x 10.
@katsmeow1213 (28926)
Every year I told myself we'd go get a family picture done instead at one of those portrait studios, otherwise I'd be buying school pictures of 5 kids. We didn't get the family portrait done every year, and some years I did buy school pictures instead. Last year we did a family photo instead of school photos, and this year I don't think I'll do any just because we got the family photo last year and I feel like once your kids are at a certain age you don't need professional photos each year.
• Lucknow, India
Have a chat with your family!! Moreover if you are feeling like getting one or two, I don't see any harm in getting it done! Just be specific!!
@Missmwngi (9694)
• Nairobi, Kenya
You can have one or a couple for memories. I think it is always good
It is entirely up to you, there is no way we can tell you what to do on this.