A Plastic Shed...Seriously?

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
Yup. That's what the storage shed that came with this place is entirely made of: plastic. The only metal parts are the screws that hold the various "puzzle pieces" together and the hasp and padlock that keep it shut. It was another one of Rubbermaid's bright ideas. While it might be a good idea in some climates, I've learned that it is not up here in the north where temperatures have a way of dropping down into the single digits and even lower. Here's why: polyethylene plastic alters its flexibility according to the temperature to which it is exposed. In warm weather, the plastic softens and becomes more malleable, while in cold weather, the plastic stiffens and becomes very rigid. Because of this, the shed I've been using here is accessible only during warm weather. Once the cold weather arrives, I have never been able to close the left-side door. The shed shifts from the heat, too, as the plastic expands and contracts. In the summer, I can just pop the door shut. But in the winter, the top edge of the door is just slightly higher than the bottom edge of the frame, just enough for it not to close completely and leaving a big gap at the top. If I'm lucky, I can bang the top of the door back under the frame. But I'm short, so that doesn't always work, and I have always been afraid to crack the plastic on a cold day. That has limited my use of the shed during the winter, as I've never wanted to leave the door attached at the hasp but open at the top due to snow and rain getting in there. I've complained to the landlord, but that fell on deaf ears, and I got a sob story about how expensive a WOODEN shed would have been. And she didn't seem to want to be bothered to have someone jack the shed up slightly on the other side so the door WOULD shut. So, in other words, sorry, but there's nothing I can do, so you're going to have to live with it. Hence a word to the wise: if you're thinking of buying one of these Rubbermaid Roughneck Storage Sheds, consider how cold it gets where you live. If you're in Florida or other parts south, you should be fine. But I definitely wouldn't consider buying one if I lived in say, Noatak, Alaska.
I bought a wooden shed in 1999, our neighbor, two years later bought one of those plastic sheds you mention. We still have our shed, he already changed his shed four years ago, of course for a wooden one.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck No big surprise there. My landlady here is, shall I say, all about the money. So she cuts corners where they shouldn't be cut. I've been pretty lenient and reticent about most things around here, but the next tenant after me may not be so nice. That plastic shed maybe saved her some money, but caused me a lot of grief, as I was not able to access it as per the lease agreement. There is lots I won't miss about this place when I move next month, including that silly shed! And plastic is just so d--- ugly, too!
@Raelove I agree, plastic is ugly, it's cold and it does not last long, especially in very cold (or very hot) weather.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck The Rubbermaid Company has made billions on that junk. It just all offends my organic sensibilities! As does all that plastic playground equipment that's all bright colors. Sticks out of the landscape like a sore thumb, insulting Mother Nature in the process. Now there is plastic "lumber," touted to "last a lifetime, and needs no painting." They don't mention how utterfly ugly it is!
We had a Rubbermaid storage box and every time we moved it or opened it the silly thing fell apart. We got rid of it and I ordered one online and it's put together much differently. Its to hold the pool hoses and brushes and in the south it's fine. I don't think it would hold up in freezing tepls.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Nope. Not a good idea at all for freezing temps. I won't miss that thing once I leave here. It's been nothing but a pain in the you-know-what. Oh, and hornets get in the there in the summer, and it's hotter than hell's blue blazes in there, too. Give me a wooden shed or give me nothing!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I went to the Rubbermail website and saw that they don't recommend moving those plastic sheds without taking them apart first. Now I can see why, based on what you told me. Imagine that: a shed you have to put together and take apart like a jigsaw puzzle! LOL
@Raelove Life's too short for that for sure.