New doctor equals lots to think about

@fawkes62 (1294)
I was fed up with my old doctor basically ignoring some of my concerns, so I decided to try a new doctor. I saw the new one today and I'm not sure whether I like her or not. She's not happy with me being on a couple of medications that I've been on for several years. She said they were not meant to be on for more than about 6 months. It makes me wonder why no one else has said anything about me still being on them until this point. I don't know if it's just her personal preference, or if it really is that big a deal. I wouldn't mind taking fewer pills, but I also don't want the symptoms that these medications are preventing to come back. It's a lot to think about.
@NeldaHoxie (1388)
Balancing the side-effects of medications and their benefits can be very difficult. Did you tell your doctor your concerns? I do think it takes awhile to develop a good working relationship with anyone. Doctors are no different.
@fawkes62 (1294)
I was a bit overwhelmed at the time but was able to message her. I've decided to give her suggestions a try since she clarified that she wants me to reduce the amount I take instead of just stopping it all together which is what I thought she meant during the appointment.
@yukimori (9046)
Have you done any independent research about the medications you're taking? There's a lot of information available online these days, so you can find out about things like how long they're typically prescribed for and potential issues that you might face when coming off of them. Sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be pretty bad when you've been on something long-term. I think I'd also want to know her plan for dealing with the symptoms they're preventing if you come off them. Does she plan to transition you to a different prescription, or is she hoping to bring you off them altogether? A good provider should listen to your concerns and be able to answer questions and explain what their thought process is, not just say "this is what we're doing for you."
@fawkes62 (1294)
I looked the medications up and since they are both over the counter medications, most of the info I found said to see a doctor if you need them for more than 6 weeks. I've been on them since before they were over the counter and had never heard that they shouldn't be taken long term. I did get some clarification from her since I saw her and she wants me to just reduce the amount I take for now, so that is what I am trying.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I recently went to a new doctor and felt much the same as you do. On my second visit with him, I knew something wasn't right and I won't be going back to him.
@fawkes62 (1294)
I think most of my problem was more the way she went about the suggestion than the suggestion itself. Now that I've had some time to think about it I've decided to give her suggestions a try and see if they work. She did seem more thorough than my previous one.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@fawkes62 You probably should give her a second chance. I did this with my new doctor and came home with even more concerns. I talked to my primary doctor and she told me not to go back to him. She is trying to get me a referral to another doctor.
@fawkes62 (1294)
@simone10 So far everything is going alright, so I think that she was probably right. I will give her another chance and hope my feelings about her at the first visit were mainly from my apprehension about reducing the medication.
@mom210 (6762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I love any Dr that doe snot want to fill me full of pills, I hope that you can get off them.
@fawkes62 (1294)
I do want to reduce the amount of pills I take, but any change makes me nervous. And being nervous can make my symptoms worse, making it harder to reduce the medication.
@mom210 (6762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@fawkes62 I would definetely prceed with caution, that is for sure. good luck
Some doctors are better than others and really know their medicine and medication. If you have concerns, tell her. I was having colonoscopies every three years until my new doctor (the other one moved) told me that all the polyps I had removed were all very slow growing ones. He won't see me for 5 + years.
@fawkes62 (1294)
It will be nice to have fewer pills to take as long as my symptoms don't return. My biggest concern is that they might come back, and I don't want that.
@fawkes62 I only take what is necessary. Good luck, Shannon!
i feel fer ya 's i've gone through quite the buffet 'f doc's myself in recent years. perhaps there's more info out there'n those medications she's speakin' 'f than when they were originally prescribed? i'm with @yukimori 'n'd be doin' me some fact findin' 'n then pickin' the brains'f the pharmacist - armed'f course with what'cha found. best'f luck!
@fawkes62 (1294)
I looked up the medications and they don't say anything about long term use that I could find. Both are sold over the counter, so the info I could find said to see your doctor if you need them longer than 6 weeks. As it was a doctor that said to take them, I didn't really think much of it at that time.
@fawkes62 unfortunately, many doc's aint'n understandin' 'f such 'n one'd be better off consultin' with a pharmacist fer those kinda matters. seems they're all so 'specialized' they've not a clue sadly.
@sofssu (14462)
When you are with one doctor they routinely tend to prescribe the same meds.. The new doc may have a point there.. it would help to take a second opinion in that case.
@fawkes62 (1294)
That's probably why the first doctor didn't say anything, but I've had multiple doctors since I was first prescribed these and none of them said anything until now. I did get some clarification about what she thought was best and have decided to give it a try. If my symptoms return I will have to see her again and discuss it again or find someone else, again.
It is hard to change doctors. I can think of several prescriptions that many doctors prescribe long term that are truly meant to be given for two to six weeks. I hope you can discuss this with the new doctor, though so that you can understand her reasoning. It may be that just as your old doctor has ignored your concerns, the old doctor ignored limits on certain meds. Ask your pharmacist. They are the ones who are well educated about medications.
@fawkes62 (1294)
Her main concern is that this medication can increase my risk of osteoporosis because it makes it harder to absorb calcium. I did get some clarification from her and don't feel as nervous about it as I was. She wants me to just reduce the amount I take for now and see how that goes. So that is what I'm doing.