What Do You Think? Is this A Police Problem or Citizen Compliance Issue?

A few months back, in the state of Michigan, an officer pulls over a 17 year old boy and by the end there is a 17 year old dead. In the video I hear 2 things. First there was an officer making a legal stop which had many ways to go and at one point he explains the change in the situation. Second I see a 17 year old who, while compliant at one point, started belligerently refusing to comply. By the end the 17 year old becomes belligerent again. I simply want the opinion of those who read and watch the video on 2 things. 1. If you were the officer would you feel endangered by the behavior of the 17 year old? 2. If you were pulled over and were in the place of the 17 year old how would you have responded?
SHOCK Video shows a side-by-side view of video from Sgt. Frost's body camera and Deven Guilford's cell phone video. No charges for Sgt. Jonathan Frost in pol...
it's so hard to say, situations are bad, good cops need support, and I feel for the families
@Jessicalynnt That is the thing. The process cleared the officer and now the family is suing for an ungodly amount of money. The money will not bring back their son and it just looks like they are going after a payout.
@topffer (34091)
• France
@Berniezeitler Are they suing the policeman for a personal fault or the state ?
@topffer Both the officer and the county. The officer is an Eaton County Sheriff. I had met him once I think and from what I understand he is not usually quick on the draw.
@topffer (34091)
• France
1. Certainly not. I have seen people receiving a ticket a lot more aggressive than this kid without making a police officer think a moment that he is endangered. This kid is just a bit stupid like many kids of his age. 2. I already knew at his age that you should never refuse to obey to a police officer... except when it comes to add your signature on a ticket : it is better to not sign if you want to contest it later. Finally, it looks like a stupid accident : a kid a bit too clumsy, and a police officer becoming a bit too nervous. Tasers are not supposed to be lethal, although it is another proof that it can happen...
@topffer We need to comply when we get pulled over. If they need our ID or insurance we are obliged to show it.
@topffer (34091)
• France
@Berniezeitler I did not understood. I think that he used only his taser. I watched the end again, and it is difficult to tell what happened.
@topffer (34091)
• France
@Susan2015 Of course we need to comply to any police order, and this kid was together stupid to not comply and afraid (I noticed it at his tone of voice).
I just don't understand why when getting pulled over people don't comply, follow the officer's directions. If he asks for your ID, insurance, show it.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
Sure, true, but is not showing a couple pieces of paper worth a young man's life?
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
17 years or anything, the Police has to perform its duty - and that can be dangerous many a times. In today's context, you can never be sure (as a cop) what is the motive and what can come the next moment. I have never found an honest cop but still, I do always regard them because of what they do. - risking their lives many a times for the safety of many unknown faces. So I am swayed and biased towards the actions of the Cop. The kid had it wrong. Of course, it was not a big issue but then even if he did not have his license he should have complied with what the cop was telling and asking for. Delaying, Arguing with cops never helps. Sad that this turned bad.
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The 17 year old started out with a non-compliant attitude, was politely confrontational at first, and eventually became violently confrontational. When he attacked the officer, the officer was right to feel endangered and to use deadly force to defend himself. Had I been the 17 year old, I would have complied with the officer's commands and challenged the citation in court, if I had been telling the truth. What we now know is the 17 year old did not have his driver's license on him, which would have led to an additional citation even had he been able to convince a judge that he did not "flash" the officer. Also, the law in the jurisdiction in question has made flashing your brights at an oncoming vehicle within a certain distance illegal regardless of whether that vehicle has its brights on or nor, so the 17 year old's argument was specious from the outset.
@gudheart (12752)
It is hard to know how I would respond, but I thought a taser would work to enough to handcuff him.
I feel that they were both slightly off. As a driver who has been pulled over I always provide the officer with what he asks of me, but then again, I would never ever expect such aggression on their part. I think that the family is justified in their actions seeking litigation against both the cop as well as the county in this case.
@Tita417 (1238)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
This is so sad. This boy doesn't have to die for such a simple misdemeanour. If I were the police I would not think that this boy is endangering me. Yes of course I would have responded
@Rohvannyn (3118)
I might have detained the young man but unless he was armed and showing an actual physical threat to me I would not have killed him.
• Preston, England
arguing with a cop and resisting arrest is stupid but unless the kid pulled a weapon there was no excuse to shoot him.
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Lol! yeahn of course, i would have felt endangered with his behaviour. Being a police man i s a tough job. Have a great day my dear friend.