Do you read news about people like Miley Cyrus and Kim Kardashian?

Pleasant Hill, California
Whenever I log on to my computer, I check my email first. I check the accompanying news quickly, to see if I missed anything important. Inevitably, Huffington Post has some story or another about people like Kim Kardashian or Miley Cyrus, individuals who are "famous for being famous" and hold no interest whatsoever for me. I always mumble something about "the decline and fall of Western Civilization," and then look for real news before checking my email and then going to Craigslist, MyLot, eBay, or wherever I'm headed. Do you ever actually read news about people like Kim Kardashian? Do you think they pay news services to carry stories about them? I don't understand the media's obsession with trashy people who have no talent. Am I "out of touch" somehow? Why are we supposed to care about them and what they're doing?
NO! I want to be sure I never read something about "The Kardashians" Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber. If we all started to ignore all those stupid famous people, only famous because people like gossip, I am sure this would be a good step for a better civilization.
• Pleasant Hill, California
So what is it people like about gossip? Are their own lives boring? The female inmates I worked with watched the Kardashians. Was it because they thumb their noses at "class" and celebrate vulgarity? I can't quite figure it out.
@TheHorse I do not know why people love so much gossip. We have a "gossip lady" in our neighborhood. She is retired, she has a maid, so not a lot to do during the day, she only loves to badmouth around. I avoid her as much as I can.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Maybe "not having enough to do" (or think about) is a part of it. As I mentioned, female inmates were the biggest consumers of the Kardashian TV show that I've seen.
@wiLLmaH (8251)
• Singapore, Singapore
Like @LadyDuck! I do not. They are just waste of time.
@PainsOnSlate (20234)
Not in this lifetime. Can't stand the thought of the "news" being about celebrities. I like real news, although it often doesn't make me happy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Even the "real" news is "framed" in such a way that I don't fully trust it. But it's a step or two above gossip about talentless individuals.
@TheHorse there is not enough time to listen to garbage. There is so much more interesting things to hear about, maybe not so fluffy and harder to read but interesting and real.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@PainsOnSlate Yes, the "real" news can be rather depressing. And it's complicated, if you're really following the stories. But many people must want the "fluff," or they wouldn't keep putting it out there.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I actually try to avoid all news if at all possible. It's either stupid stuff like what celebrities are up to, or it's stuff that just breaks my heart and I'd rather not know about it, like violence and crime.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Alas, the violence and crime stuff is relevant to my life. For example, I avoid using Oakland freeways when they're blocked because some criminal got shot and people are protesting.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@katsmeow1213 That stuff is pretty depressing, and makes me feel helpless. But I am interested in how Biden is going to separate himself from Hilary, how we're doing against ISIS, and so on.
@TheHorse Yes, well you can't see some of it without at least seeing the headlines for the other things... so I've just stopped looking.
Hi there I try to avoid any news, good or bad, on those two particular celebs you mention, not sure if it is the attraction to immoral behavior or how they flaunt it ?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Maybe that what it's all about. Do people like to hate them because they're famous for no reason? Or are there people who actually aspire to be like them?
I hardly believe in the Kardashian family there is something 'aspiring', annoying and morally perverse, but not aspiring . . . it seems they attract so much attention because negative begets negative, right ? @TheHorse
@PhredWreck (6051)
I don't read about them, in fact nothing makes me scroll away faster than seeing their names. And that Bieber guy...and a dozen other 'famous' names. I guess they must hold some fascination for a certain percentage of the population, but I am not in that percentile ranking.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Bieber was successfully marketed to pre-teen girls for awhile. I don't know what he's doing now.
@salonga (27985)
I am not interested with news about them. I don't think they will be of any value to me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I AM fascinated with the fascination, and how it's engineered. It must sell products of some sort. Follow the dollar, they say.
I choose to ignore such stories. I have no idea what the draw is for reading about these people. I wish there were more stories about people who are actually doing something for humanity.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd even accept more stories about entertainers who were actually good at something.
• Lucknow, India
No I don't!! My internet search is mainly for WWE updates, other sports, upcoming movies and latest news!!! Celebrities is not my cup of tea!!! The remaining of my Internet time goes in Youtube!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
What is WWE?
• Lucknow, India
@TheHorse World Wrestling Entertainment( thats what it meant till 2010).. Now it is just WWE!! The wrestling franchise!! Have you not heard about The Rock, austin or for a matter John Cena
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Rationalwriter Isn't that entertainment, not sports?
i don't read 'bout no celebs - could give a hoot less what they're doin'/not doin'. i'm with ya'n the 'decline and fall of western civilization'. too many folks seem to be focused'n these fake folks with serious self-esteem troubles than they do 'bout real realities. t'wouldn't surprise me one lick to know that they do indeed pay the media to follow 'em 'round...
• Pleasant Hill, California
Glad you agree with me on that one. Sounds like you have some horse sense, even if you don't appreciate Morgans. Just teasing you right there. I've never read that they pay the media to write stories about them, but it would make sense.
@TheHorse i aint got nothin' 'gainst morgans! used to 've one actually, 'bout 40 yrs 'go. smart's a whip, strong's 'n ox 'n most clever. ick'n celebs 'n their shenanigans. i'd like to unplug 'em all fer 'bout 2 weeks 'n see who goes completely mad first. oops! did i jest write that?? sigh...yepperz, truth hurts.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@crazyhorseladycx Yep, I'm convinced most Morgans are smart. As for the no-talent celebs, I'm at a loss. If nobody talked about them, they probably would go nutso.
I guess I am "out of touch" myself about "insignificant people like those.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You're not missing anything. But they keep appearing, like flies at a picnic.
Why do I recognise the names at all? Because they're everywhere. It's impossible not to see them. If the text is short, I may read it and wonder (again) who these people really are. I don't know what Miley C. looks like and recognise only one Kardashian woman. I know Justin B.'s baby face but am not interested in his pubescent escapades.