Typhoon Koppu Ravaging The Philippines Not Considered Newsworthy

Preston, England
As I write, our friends in the Philippines (many writers on here being affected) are being hit by one of the most savage typhoons since records began. There are many deaths and a great deal of damage in the Northern areas. The typhoon is also likely to hit Vietnam. The western media is barely covering the event. The BBC actually ran a feature on the news about a competition to let the public name heavy gales hitting British shores, with storms here now likely to be called Nigel in future. An all too real storm however, killing real people, right now, wasn’t considered worth mentioning at all. The best place for updates on Koppu is Twitter at present. If you are affected, stay safe, keep your radio on for government updates and take all necessary precautions and safety measures required. Arthur Chappell
@akshat007 (162)
• New Delhi, India
Well that is the case with the media everywhere. Misplaced priorities. Pooling resources together they can do a tremendous job but its all for the TRP. I hope the Phillipines have necessary precautions in place and escape with minimum casualties.
@Fleura (7417)
The fate of somebody Kardashian's ex-husband is much more newsworthy surely?
• Preston, England
yes, very much the case sadly - if they were in the danger zone we would never hear the last of it but mere mortals don't count.
@Fleura (7417)
@arthurchappell something makes me want to wish them into the danger zone...
• Preston, England
@Fleura that would be a reality TV show worth watching
@garymarsh6 (14731)
It is ridiculous what is reported on the news sometimes for example Cheryl cole has had a blooming hair cut........and they call that news! Give me strength! Prayers go out to those friends in the Philippines!
@sofssu (18172)
Prayers and good wishes being sent to our friends affected by the typhoon. The media is as fickle as the weather.
@artemeis (4069)
All I can say it is simply human where after the first incident, the media would be sort of numb to the degree of devastation and does not deem the need to do much coverage as intense as the first time. I feel for the people and surrounding communities but media is taking the form of being more commercialized and we simply could not help it. I'm sorry for your friends and hope that they are alright surviving the disaster.
@wiLLmaH (8246)
• Singapore, Singapore
Thanks for this posted discussion and letting our friend here know what is happening now at the Philippines. :)
If it weren't for you reporting this news, I would have never known.
I do hope everyone is able to stay safe