Breaking another rule at myLot

Goldfish
While we're talking about rules, let's talking about another item in the Community Guidelines which states and I quote, "Posting plagiarized or copyrighted content - We take this very seriously. If there is an article you would like others to see and discuss, then post a link to that article along with your own commentary." An example of plagiarism: You decide to write about Goldfish so you copy, word for word, what it says on a website you found such as Wikipedia. If Wikipedia has a paragraph with facts and you copy those facts and use them as your entire discussion - guess what - that's plagiarism. Don't just copy (plagiarize) the information - use it but make it your own, make it personal. Talk about the goldfish your son got, or talk about how a goldfish has helped teach your child responsibility. Plagiarism is against the rules here and it is against the law - it is stealing. photo: https://pixabay.com/en/fish-goldfish-water-astonished-158184/
@PhredWreck (6051)
That is correct. Another popular way it is done is 'spinning' the article...taking it and not adding anything new to it, just altering the wording and using it to post the discussion. Also plagiarism. Unfortunately, too many people seem to think that is okay.
I reported a few the other day. Some are just sooooo obvious!
@hereandthere (28834)
@abbygreenhill i'm conflicted, though, about those rewriting the news, but not citing the source. (ex. book, radio, tv, newspaper, magazine, online news sites, even something shared to you on social media)
Can you explain what exactly you are conflicted about? The premise is that if you don't include a link then the information is plagiarized. The original person who wrote the article/story could sue you and myLot and who knows who else.
@AbbyGreenhill i guess it's just another 'thing' i'm hoping would be spelled out if they plan to update the rules.
@hereandthere It is up to myLot to spell things out for us.
I don't understand why people do some of these, like spinning, that to me takes more work than to take a quote and add something of my own!
It's because they can. Like you tell a kid don't eat that cupcake until after your sandwich and you aren't there - they eat the cupcake first because they can.
@AbbyGreenhill I guess so, people need to just give it up, they will get caught
@Jessicalynnt I think they like to get caught.
yepperz, true fact. kinda odd how so many don't see it's such? i recall when i first penned my first posts't that other place 'n folks came outta the woodwork fer me givin' sources - professin' such t'weren't necessary...clueless wonders...