When Movies Were Glamorous

Frank Sinatra
@Raelove (14572)
Saco, Maine
One of the qualities that I think most of today's movies have lost is the glamour. Many of them don't tell much of a story, and are mostly special effects. Those that do often lack any meaning that you might take away from them, or tell their story in such a stark and unattractive way that it leaves me with unpleasant memories. If the story is serious, it's one thing. But I've always been a fan of good adult drama that ends in an upbeat way. I watch movies to be entertained, and to suspend my own reality for a couple of hours. And it's why I keep going back to the older movies of the 40's, 50's, and 60's. They were always able to do that and relied entirely on acting ability rather than slap-dash action or insipid dialogue. One of my favorites from the 1950's is "Pal Joey," starring the incomparable Frank Sinatra, the sultry Kim Novak, and the beautiful Rita Hayworth. It's the story of a nightclub owner who is temporarily bought by a rich woman who finances his club, but who is actually in love with a chorus girl who works for him. The jazzy/bluesy musical score is so Broadway and romantic and evocative of a time when relationships were the basis for so many movies and storylines. The movie was also the vehicle for a few hit songs of that era, including "Bewitched," "The Lady is a Tramp," and "My Funny Valentine." It's on right now on GetTV, so I think I'll get my lunch ready and enjoy it. I've watched it many times, but it's one I can never see too often. Photo Credit: Wikimedia Public Domain
I love old movies especially the ones in the "genre noir" category.
@Raelove (14572)
• Saco, Maine
@marlina Oh so do I. One of my favorites is "Double Indemnity," with Barbara Stanwyck, one of my favorites, and a very serious Fred MacMurray. The dialogue was wonderful in that one. That's what was so great about those movies. The writing was brilliant. Just the conversations between the characters keeps you interested.
@Raelove I don't think I've seen Double Indemnity so I just placed it into my Netflix queue.
@Raelove (14572)
• Saco, Maine
@blitzfrick It's one of my favorites. Film noir at its finest, with Fred MacMurray in a "bad boy" role, which he did extremely well.
• Pleasant Hill, California
A lot of the special effects garbage appeals to the kids who grew up entirely on video games.
@Raelove (14572)
• Saco, Maine
Very true, horse. As does a lot of today's humor, which I find extremely lame.
I try to watch movies, but I usually fall asleep so I'm not a fan of watching them. I need to watch 1/2 hours so that hopefully I catch it all.
@Raelove (14572)
• Saco, Maine
I can watch entire movies if I have some knitting to work on at the same time. Otherwise, I, too, get sleepy.
@miwa33 (12)
• Guildford, England
I haven't seen this, but I like the actors in it.
@Raelove (14572)
• Saco, Maine
I think you'd like it. It's pure Sinatra all the way.
that is my one of my all time movies.I have seen this many times.Netflix has. No your right they do not make movies glamorous anymore. Remember all those great MGM musical how wonderful they were. Rita Hayworth is my favorites.Remember Gilda and Affair in Trinidad.
@Raelove (14572)
• Saco, Maine
@amadeo I have a long list of favorites from those years, including Bogie and Bacall, Hepburn and Tracy, and on and on it goes. I never tire of those movies and can watch them over and over again.