Life Lessons from a dog

Centralia, Missouri
1. When in doubt kiss it. By this I mean, use your senses to asses new situations. Try things. Eat new foods, experience and love life! 2. Always be glad to see your peoples. When your significant other, or family comes home, take at least a moment, stop what you are doing, and be genuinely glad to see them. It's a rough world out there sometimes, and that moment of being the most important thing for at least a minute can really make someones day. 3. Make the most of your time. If you are playing, give it all you have. If you are napping nap with abandon! 4. Fun is everywhere. Sometimes something stinks, like going to the vet, but the trip is fun. Find fun and happiness, even if it's in the small things. What life lessons have your dogs (or cats or pets) added?
@Freelanzer (6558)
Dogs are the most trusting beings I know and you can learn a lot from them about trust
yeah if they don't like someone, it's time to pay attention.
@Jessicalynnt They are very good at knowing who is trustworthy and who is not. I always pay attention to how they act around other people.
Patches teaches me to be happy just to see the ones that I love. She is always purring.
heh, I wonder what our loved ones would do if we greeted them the same way our fuzzy babies do
• Preston, England
from my cat - not everyone appreciates surprise presents, especially being offered mice or birds in the night - such ingratitude
oh good one! Dogs bring me nasties sometimes too, and they are so proud of themselves!
@valmnz (13118)
• New Zealand
@arthurchappell your cat and my Smooch would get along well!
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt the worst was when I had a Boxer dog - she dragged a hedgehog in which I found in the dark by standing on its spines - hurt like Hell.
They love unconditionally.
yeah, not sure people can actually do that.
Very good article @Jessicalynnt.. Our two can make us laugh a lot. Of course, there is the flip side, like peeing on the floor and me having to clean it up, but it is what it is. Just like a person, if you have to go then you have to go. They have feelings just like we do.
maybe the lesson in peeing is to not be afraid to see to your needs! hahaha
@valmnz (13118)
• New Zealand
Wonderful and so true! Love the reminder of all of these. I think we humans sometimes treat our pets better than our partners in life.
often yeah, they never hold a grudge, they always love us, they forgive and forget, people are much more complicated
@valmnz (13118)
• New Zealand
@Jessicalynnt now I'm looking forward to my dog sitting this weekend even more.
@valmnz if you were closer I have a puppy I could loan you anytime, lol
@kevin1877uk (36284)
I've had a few dogs when I was married and my ex-partner had cats which where nice to have, they give you so much love. Now I have no pets at the moment.
I had to find a place where I could have some animal time, if it was only helping out at a no kill shelter, when we had no pets, they are so much a part of my life, I can't stand not having at least 1 cat or dog.
@kevin1877uk (36284)
@Jessicalynnt Aww so you'll always have one or the other then.
@kevin1877uk yeah, they really help me keep from being constantly in panics, hard to get too panicy when you are covered in snoring dog
@sugartoes (35501)
• Greencastle, Indiana
one thing I can add to this is when my day don't go right I can take either one of my (8) dogs go for a walk & spend time with it a few hrs & by the time I come back I feel SO much better dogs have a sense that when we're not happy they will fill that space the best they can they know when you don't feel good they know when you need their help. they love us without fear they miss us when we're gone or they haven't seen us for the day.
they really have that whole unconditional love thing down!
@sugartoes (35501)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Jessicalynnt yes they do that's for sure
@minx267 (11160)
• Hartford, Connecticut
My dogs have taught me patience. I used to be pretty impatient when I got my first dog we learned from each other.. I taught him and my other little girl to walk off lead. He always walked ahead of me and she always walked behind me.. They liked to smell stuff and sometimes you just can't rush a dog :) so I learned patience.. take your time and stop and smell the roses.. :)
Very good one, we humans to get to rushing sometimes and the animals, well they know the pleasures in the small slow things
@minx267 (11160)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@Jessicalynnt Yes, and why make your blood pressure rise getting all bent out of shape because things aren't falling into a certain time slot.. Just take things as they come.. in the end it all works out. Well hopefully... The dogs lead a carefree lifestyle and I'd rather enjoy that than dealing with Appointments and work and people..
@Micmac (6982)
My cat taught me how to butter up somebody to get what you want. Cats are inquisitive, friendly and loving as well.
I love it, reminds me of my dogs all sitting at my feet staring quietly at my food, they know if they stare long enough I will relent and share
@Micmac (6982)
@Jessicalynnt Gotta love cheeky pets!
Preiti has taught me many things and one thing stands out and that is to not to worry if there is no variety in the food. (lol)
lol I love that, they do take pleasure in the art of eating...anything really
@sofssu (14717)
Do what it takes to make you happy in your present circumstances.
very true! Even if that's a nice nap in the sunshine or a broken shoe to chew on, they find a way
I no longer have pets, but am watching my son's cat for him. I have learned that pets are always loving and are always there to listen.
ah, one I didn't think of, the fact you can tell them ANYTHING and they keep confidences well
Our cats have taught me that sleep isn't such a bad thing. They do a lot of it. And, that certain body parts hold great mystery.
hAHAHAHAHAHAHA, or that certain parts need bathed much more often? lol
What she has given us over her 4 years of life are smiles and laughs and we love her for it.
Very true! So many chuckles over silly antics