The Health Benefits of Lilacs

Daytona Beach, Florida
Every year I have enjoyed my lilacs and love to see them blooming all around Riga, Latvia but I never thought to think if there were health benefits. So I went and did some research and discovered that not only do lilacs provide beauty and fragrance they also have a healthy side to them. In flower language lilacs symbolize young love, wisdom and remembrance. Their wonderful scent is known to promote harmony and can increase your mental abilities and it also invokes emotions which have been long forgotten. Greek Mythology The story tells of a beautiful nymph who was named Syringa (this is the genus name of lilacs). With her loveliness she had captured the attention of Pan, the god of fields and forests. So it happened that Pan became so enamored of her that he chased her through the forest. Syringa was able to escape him by turning herself into a lilac bush with the help of some other nymphs. It was then that Pan came to realize that he was not holding Syringa, but some reeds. In sadness he sighed and his sighs mixed with the wind and the reeds produced most harmonious sounds. Hermes who was aka Mercury made the suggestion that perhaps if seven reeds of different lengths could be bound together they would make pan pipes. These pan pipes were then called Syrinx to honor the lovely nymph. In reference to flowers Syringa means “hollow tube, tubular shape”. Even though they are not hollow, it is possible to drill out lilac twigs to create flutes and pipe stems. I never knew and I’m glad I do now. The blossoms of the lilac are edible even though they smell better than they taste, so use only them only in small amounts. One fantastic thing to do in the spring is to make a lilac cold-water infusion. All you need to do is to fill a glass pitcher with fresh lilac blossoms. Make sure that the lilac blossom have not been sprayed with anything. Then fill the pitcher to the top with spring water and let it seep for an hour. Before pouring into glasses, strain the water. Now you are ready to drink in the beauty and aroma. You can scatter some lilac blossoms on fresh green salads. It is also possible to candy the blossom and preserve them for later use with which to decorate desserts. There is additional information that lilacs have astringent and healing properties. The infusion of lilac blossoms can also be used as a toner for the skin. The very best news for me is that now I can use the blossoms and not just have to see them wilt away. In this link there is also a great recipe for a way to make lilac honey where once the honey is ready it has picked up the properties of the lilac blossoms and you can use the honey and eat these blossoms. For more healing properties and lilac honey: https://feralbotanicals.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/lilac-flowers-an-edible-and-medicinal-treat/ Information source plus video at: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/lovely-lilacs-with-brigitte-mars.html#ixzz3WukZMMb7
We've had a lilac tree for many years and it does smell wonderful.
Oh how interesting. I love lilacs and had quite a few at my old house. I will probably order new ones for spring.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I love Greek Mythology! Such a informative post as I never knew about any health benefits of lilacs.
@simone10 it was interesting for me to find out since I have a lot of lilacs growing in my garden every May.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@RasmaSandra I bet they are beautiful and smell so good.
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is very interesting. I didn't know lilac's had health benefits.
@LeaPea2417 they certainly do and next spring I plan on trying some of these things when my lilacs bloom.
How come that you're thinking of this in the month of October? -- Your post reminds of something we did as children: we picked lilac blossoms and sucked the open end. I don't know it that enhanced our health and beauty or only gave us a shot of sweetness.
@MALUSE I write this now because I have lots of lilacs growing in my garden every May and seeing them now wilted with bare branches made me sad and to brighten my mood I thought of how they would look when spring came again.
Interesting to know about lilacs.