Disowned

Image Pixaby
I watched a TV court case the other day that had me thinking about what makes a parent disown a child because the child, now an adult, does not adhere to the family religion. The mother insisted that her grandchildren be brought up in her religion. Her daughter and son-in-law refused. The result was that the grandmother declared war and didn't see her grandchildren for years. Would you disown your children if they did not follow your religion?
• Eugene, Oregon
Absolutely not! I think religion is a load of crap for the most part anyway.
Everyone has the right to carve their own path in life..
@indexer (2336)
• Leicester, England
A good way of putting it!
@poehere (17676)
• French Polynesia
Nope it's a personal choice. I never forced a religion down my daughters throat and she hasn't done this to her kids. I think religion is a personal choice and a child can make this choice when they are older and not before.
You kind of wonder where is the love? How can a mother or any parent for that matter, disown their kids in the name of religion and actually believe they are doing the right thing
@poehere (17676)
• French Polynesia
@Freelanzer I have no clue sometime when it comes to subjects of religion. I wasn't raised like this. I was raised to believe in the spirits of the land, wind, earth, rain, fire, and so on and so forth. My great grandparents are Sioux Indian and we were taught their ways,. There isn't one God only to pray to there are many to give you food, life, water, rain, and many things needed for life. I have always been one to stay out of all conversations about religion because I don't carry the same beliefs as others. I don't want to go on here because I see many people posting here about the bible, the devil and God. So it's better to not offend anyone with how I think of all of this. But anyhow I think this woman really needs to reexamine her points of view and stop pushing her beliefs down small children's throats. Wait till they get older and then introduce them to her religion. Let them make up their own mind if they want to follow her.
@ramapo17 (26034)
• Melbourne, Florida
When I got married I married a catholic man and I was from a family that had more than 3 ministers in it plus all my aunts and I would go to church every Sunday night for the sing along of the hymns. My family was protestant and followed straight from the bible. Non denominational, it was called. My grand mother was the founder of the church. I was not allowed to go to any of the dances in the catholic complex that my friends went to. I could never understand why I couldn't go. When I got married to a catholic, I agreed to let my husband raise the kids his way as he never missed church but I did. Both of my grandsons are catholic and I know when they grow up they will make their own decisions in life. I am happy they go to church and are decent boys. I go to all of their church functions. I also believe there is one god and if we teach our kids to have a relationship with him, they should turn out to be good kids and good parents some day.
@1hopefulman (34877)
My children do not follow my religion and I have not disowned them one bit. God gives each one of us the choice as to what religious path we will follow. However there are consequences for the choices we make. We will have to deal with him on that matter.
If they don't' believe in your religion or any other for that matter then there would be no consequences based on their belief or unbelief.
@1hopefulman (34877)
@Freelanzer I see things this way. God exists. He has commandments. If we break the commandments there are consequences. If we obey the commandments there are benefits. An illustration: there are many ways that a person might not make a stop at an intersection (he could not make it at many different speeds) but only one way to make a stop, that is stop completely by immobilizing the wheels. Many drivers got a ticket, even though they almost stopped completely. Too many violations can lead to a loss of a driving permit. God does hold us accountable for what we do or fail to do. We cannot argue with God and win. (1 John 5:3) This is my take on the discussion.
@1creekgirl (13024)
You are so right. We'll all give account to God one day as to whether we accepted or rejected his gift of salvation. And not believing in God doesn't make him any less real.
I guess I'm lucky, my parents gave me the right to make that choice for myself. I do know that decades ago religion was a huge part of family life and if you didn't adhere to the family religion you were sometimes shunned. Just look what happens if an Amish child decides not to follow the family religion.
I remember as a teens my dad was very upset with us when we joined a different church however he got over it eventually.
@ramapo17 (26034)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Freelanzer My parents too but they got over it as we still went to church every Sunday and was involved in the church activities too.
• Preston, England
my involvement in a cult and now my atheism is one of the few things not estranging me from my lapsed catholic family
A lapsed Catholic family or a lapsed Catholic faith?
• Preston, England
@Freelanzer family - my parents, my mum being the only one now living, consider themselves Roman Catholic but the don't do anything with it.
@indexer (2336)
• Leicester, England
When somebody behaves like this it make me think that their religion is not one that is worth following. If religious belief is not accepted freely, and as the personal choice of the person in question, it has absolutely no value.
And I can't fathom a God approving of that behavior. There is certainly no real love there.
@vandana7 (69027)
Never. Even worse here. If you convert you lose rights to ancestral property. Now..that is strange law.
That is two bad that you lose rights if you convert, makes it difficult to choose.
Nope, that I wouldn't. I am a believer in everyone has a right to their own opinions and beliefs. If they don't impose theirs on me, I won't impose mine on them.
Some people believe so strongly in their religion that as far as they are concerned, everyone, including their children are doomed for hell in a hand basket if they don't share their beliefs.
@Freelanzer Yes that is true enough. I am not that type of person at all. Which some would say that it is a form of brainwashing.
@blitzfrick (2911)
There must be good reasons to disown a child, but in my opinion religion isn't one of them. I've known only one person who disowned her child, and she had very good reasons to do so but it had nothing to do with religion. Then there are cases of children "disowning" or "divorcing" their parents. It's a sad sad world sometimes.
I am sure there are circumstances under which parents may justify disowning a child, however, I have not found a reason that would make me disown a child. I may distance myself from him or her but he will always be my child and may need my prayers at a minimum. In this case, perhaps in the parents mind, they are justified in disowning the child. It all depends on what they see as an unforgivable sin or transgression.
No it is sick..whatever religion that is, it is not of God, the pure light. It is pure hatred for mankind. No parent would disown their child if they are of God.
If god is love, how can one hate their children because they don't believe. It makes little sense
I don't even think murder could make me disown my child. I might not agree with his/her choices but I would still love them
Same here. A parent's love should be unconditional
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
It's entirely up to my children what religion, if any, they follow. Fortunately I taught them how to think not what to think so they are both atheists!!
I hear you and I have been there. We can tell our kids what to do up to a certain age but after that, because we taught them to think independently , they will follow their own path
noperz, i raised my young'uns to find their own paths 'n 'xposed 'em to a variety 'f diff'rent religions so they could make choices'n their own.
Kind of unbelievable that this goes on in this day and age
@peavey (16876)
No, of course not. I would pray for them, but never disown them. It doesn't sound like a very good practice of religion that would have people doing that.
My children have the freedom to choose their own religious path.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I know there are some religions where they demand someone disown any family member who does not belong to the religion. I don't know what purpose it serves. All it does is alienate family members. I think religions that believe this way are setting on a weak foundation. They are afraid nonbelievers are going to manipulate believers into leaving the religion. I think if someone believes deeply enough in a religion no family member is going to talk them out of it. No one should disown their child(ren) over religion.
And of course you wonder about the any religion that would approve of that. In the case I mentioned the reason given by the mother as that she feared her children and grandchildren will go to hell, so she declares war on them. really?
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@Freelanzer She is afraid her children and grandchildren will go to hell because they don't believe in the same religion? This is silly. So if she disowns them that supposed to make things better? What does she thinkā€“if her children and grandchildren are going to hell she will too if she associates with them? She sounds like a fanatic.
@RichardMeister I see her as more controlling. She wants to have her way and by disowning her daughter and refusing to see her grandchildren who were still quite young she is probably hoping to punish them force the issue and make them see things her way. You just cant reason with some people
@japneet20 (253)
• New Delhi, India
I would not disown my children. It is their own personal choice. but I'd want them to respect my religious beliefs.
They can respect your beliefs and still follow their own beliefs
• New Delhi, India
@Freelanzer exactly. That's what I meant.
• Walnut Creek, California
Such an act sounds ridiculous, but we hear such stories now and then.
Hard to believe that it actually happens in this day and age
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think everyone has a right to their own religion and I would not disown any family member because of it. I think it's ridiculous.
Hard to believe but I hope that they can make amends before it is too late
@1creekgirl (13024)
I would never disown my children, even though I might disapprove of their choices. But I strongly believe that children need to have the Word of God taught to them while they're young. If they don't have that truth in their hearts and minds at a young age, chances are they won't choose a relationship with Jesus when they're grown.
True a good foundation in your beliefs and how to be a good person basically is always a good thing and hopefully even though they may not believe in all the principles of the religion, they they still grow up to be good people.
@Samanthavv (1386)
I don't follow any religion and I have friends and acquaintances of many religious backgrounds. As long as my kid keeps a sense of humor and doesn't get super offended if I'm not 100% politically correct 100% of the time then we won't have any issues,
No one is perfect so I am sure your kid will accept 90% political correctness