The Person I Admired The Most

@simone10 (21647)
Louisville, Kentucky
The person I have always looked up, respected and admired the most in my life would be my maternal grandmother. Her and my grandfather had 4 children when he died of a blood clot to his heart. My Mom was only 12 years old at the time. My grandmother put herself through beauty school while raising 4 children. She eventually went into business with a friend and they had their own beauty shop. I spent a lot of time with her growing up and some of my best memories were spent with her in her beauty shop. I was partially raised by my grandmother and her and I were very close. When I was 17 years old, she had colon cancer and was only given a year to live. I was devastated as I couldn't imagine living life without her in it. She never had chemo or radiation therapy but somehow her cancer went into to remission later, never to arise again. She surprised everyone and lived until I was 39 years old when she died of heart failure. She was the sweetest, kindest and most caring person I ever knew. I have missed her every day of my life since she passed away. Is there someone in your life that you have always looked up and respected?
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
She sounds like a wonderful person. I have to say that there are several members of my family that I look up to or did, and for very different reasons. I think that's good, too. Everyone has a unique brand of courage that is forged in their individual crises of life.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I couldn't agree with you more. And she was a wonderful person to me and I wish she was still here today.
@wiLLmaH (8236)
• Singapore, Singapore
I look up to both of my parents. They crawl their way out from poverty to let give us a better life.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think that is wonderful. I can see why you would look up to them both.
@wiLLmaH (8236)
• Singapore, Singapore
@simone10 Actually even our community looks up to them :) They are well respected in our family and town.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@wiLLmaH That is wonderful and says a lot about their character.
Good for you because you were that close to your grandmother . I was also close to my mother's mother but never to my father's mother who have her favorites .
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I never was close to my father's mother either as I never really got to know her because my Mom and Dad divorced when I was young.
@simone10 But its' so nice that you loved your grandmother by your mother side . I also experience being pampered by my grandparents by my mother side . They were the best grandparents too !
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@SIMPLYD Yes, I always felt very special by her and I know she loved me so much.
I also loved a lot my grandmother (the Mom of my father), but the person I admired the most is my beloved father.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I wish I had a good relationship with my father. I never saw him much when I was growing up. I loved my stepfather dearly but it just wasn't the same. I'm happy for you that you had such a great relationship with your father.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@LadyDuck That is very young to lose a parent. I am so sorry.
@simone10 Yes, it is, even if I was already married (I married at 20), I still needed my father.
@cahaya1983 (10039)
She sounds like a great woman. There are a few people that I admire, but if I have to choose one I'd choose my maternal grandfather. He was one of the most generous people I've ever known.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is a very great attribute to have, generosity. My fiance who passed away many years ago was that way. He would give someone the last dollar he had.
@cahaya1983 (10039)
@simone10 Generosity is one of the qualities that's hard to forget in a person.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@cahaya1983 I agree and one that you really don't want to forget.
@sofssu (14448)
your grandmother sound like a strong and kind person. For me it would be my dad.. I was still a tween when he passed on.,. but I still remember all the things he taught me.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I'm so sorry about your father. Remembering them is a good thing and how their legacy goes on.
Grandmas are the best aren't they? Mine was a great person too. I think I most respected and looked up to my grams too. She partially raised me too while my mom worked. She was a wonderful person.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Grandmas are the best. It looks like we have a lot in common.
@salonga (27957)
My grandmothers did not live long enough to see me but I have grand aunties that showered me with so much love.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I'm sorry that you didn't get to know your grandmothers but glad to hear that your aunties were so loving.
Your granma must have been a wonderful person! I hve had many people in my life that have been important. My father was such aperson and so was my husband. I miss them both.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
My grandma was a wonderful person and I miss her so much. I'm so sorry about the loss of your father and husband.
Every child needs a grandparent in their life.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think they do too. Grandparents are the best.
That is wonderful that she beat cancer.I adored my grandma too.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think of it as a miracle of sorts. She never had any kind of chemo yet it just went away and never returned. Of course the doctors could have been wrong but I still like to think of it as a miracle.
You are so lucky, I never got to know either of my grandmothers. I think that is why I enjoy being a grandmother so much. I was lucky to have Aunts who were a very important part of my life.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think you were very lucky to have such loving aunts in your life.
• Grand Haven, Michigan
I don't come from a very close knit family, so the people who always meant the most to me were actually "strangers". But they did help shape my life so to speak. Mainly stand up comedians, directors, and authors. My mind was never much grounded in reality (OBVIOUSLY lol) but I learned that that was okay as long as I didn't mistake the fantasy from the reality.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It doesn't have to be a family member who you admire the most. I was just lucky that it was my grandmother for me. It sounds like you are pretty grounded to me. You just have a fun personality.