Another Mark-Down Bargain

Mushrooms
@Raelove (17569)
Saco, Maine
I hadn't planned on going to the grocery store today, but my landlady told me she saw huge piles of empty cardboard boxes at Marketbasket, so I went down. Sure enough, they were piled high and wide in front of the check-outs, and the front-end manager told me to "take them all!" Well, there were hundreds there of all different sizes, but I could only take 4 or 5 that would fit into my car. While there, I also got a couple of things I needed, including a package of marked-down bulkie rolls for 99 cents. The big score, though, was a huge bag of large white mushrooms for $1.10. I had just grabbed a small package of sliced 'shrooms when someone came out from the warehouse pushing a tall cart that had all kinds of reduced-priced produce on it: broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, tomatoes and bananas. A woman stopped and had a big grin on her face as she told me that she's been wanting to make some banana bread. I told her it was her lucky day, as the bananas were the right ripeness to make bread with. I will have to clean and slice these mushrooms, but they are just I needed to go with a spaghetti squash someone gave me the other day. Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Those mushrooms are good looking Rachel. I love mushrooms especially in spaghetti sauce! Good you got such a great bargain.
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks! Ya, the bag contained at least 2 pounds, which with mushrooms, is a lot!
@Raelove Wow 2 pounds? That is a lot.
@yukimori (9070)
@Raelove Fantastic deal for what you paid for it!
Great deal! How is your packing doing?
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
@marlina Yes, it was, Marie. I cleaned and sliced them all up this morning and put them in resealable bags. I'll cook some tonight with my leftover pasta. As for the packing, I got those boxes yesterday at Marketbasket, so now I can pretty much finish. I just have to find someone who will help me carry them all down to the garage, as my landlady told me I could use it to store my stuff as long as I need to even after I've moved. I thought that was nice of her.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@Raelove Very nice of your landlady to let you store some stuff even after you move.
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
@Marcyaz I thought so. She has been letting me use the garage for about a year, but she won't let the new tenants until she gets to know them better. So that gives me a good option for storage.
Great bargain
@Marcyaz (35606)
it was a really great bargain.
I love those white button mushrooms and always pick up some when they have them on sale
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. I learned recently that they are very nutritious, too!
I don't eat them but it's nice that you got that jackpot today.
@Marcyaz (35606)
What a find you were there right at the right time and love those mushrooms.
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
@marcyaz I cleaned them this morning before I left, and when I got home tonight, I cooked them in some oil, garlic and chicken broth. I had some for supper, and have quite a few left that I put in a plastic baggie. I may have some of them tomorrow, or will divide them up and freeze them. They were so good.
@Marcyaz (35606)
@Raelove Ever since this discussion by you Rachel I have been craving mushrooms. lol
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
@Marcyaz Well, you will just have to buy some, Marcy!
The only thing I ever see is reduced for sale meats and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, funny colors....yuck
@Raelove (17569)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Ya. You have to be careful with meats. Most of the marked-down stuff is usually not healthy looking. I've bought lots of marked-down meat, but I take a good close look at it before buying it. By law, they can't hold it beyond its freshness date. And I'm still alive, so I guess I'm safe.
You did well both with the boxes as well as the sale items.