Rockers Gone Country

@FourWalls (15201)
Country music and I go back a long way, so I'm not the least bit amused by these so-called "hick hop," pop, and rock songs being passed off as "country" today. For example, The Band Perry (a group that sounds like it was named by Yoda) covered Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls," a song that absolutely NOBODY thinks of when the words "country music" are said. To compound this problem, a slew of rock singers have announced that they are going to make a "country album." Among them: Aerosmith's front man Steven Tyler (no title or release date yet), Poison's former lead singer Bret Michaels (an album titled True Grit), Marilyn Manson, Don Henley (the ONLY one on this list with any credibility to call himself "country," thanks to the country and bluegrass overtones of a number of Eagles songs), and even Bruce Springsteen (who reportedly has recorded a number of tracks that are "country," going back to the late 1980's). To quote Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles, "What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?!" Do you see George Strait making a heavy metal album, or Merle Haggard doing a rap CD? What do you think of these rockers who are trying to get publicity by claiming to have "gone country" after decades of success as rockers (with no previous mention of love of country music in the process)?
They are quite ridiculous. I never heard about the Pat Boone metal album mentioned by @PhredWreck and I think I am lucky.
It's horrible.
@PhredWreck (6051)
Pat Boone did a metal album (unfortunately) so why not George? This has long been a bone of contention with me. For instance, we had a local guy who did rock for several years...then he decided to jump on the country band-wagon because it was going over better...no integrity whatsoever. Freakin' posers...if you're rock, rock...if you're county, be country. (I'm not going to go into the rant about what passes for country with the mainstream audiences, it ain't pretty)
Kid Rock went country.
@FourWalls (15201)
No, like all the others, Kid Rock made the same kind of music he's always made and just called it country. To see the true difference when someone switches genres, listen to "Whole Lotta Shaking Going On" and "What's Made Milwaukee Famous" by Jerry Lee Lewis. When Lewis went country, he didn't need a press release to say, "Oh, this is a country record."
@FourWalls I know what you mean. I roll my eyes at the "country" Kid Rock. But I think all mainstream popular country is loosely country. You have written about that and mention the real traditional country artists are working in the hinterlands and not on stage with Taylor Swift.
@bookbar (1612)
• Sudbury, England
Maybe they have all only just realised that Country is Real music, unlike the stuff they've been hammering out, my son in law has a Rockabilly band called Restless, and in the last year or so has come to appreciate what Country music really has to offer.
All long as people buy the music it will continue to be like this.
@DeborahDiane (23746)
• Laguna Woods, California
I have always thought that was strange, too.
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
I think indeed they are trying to make publicity for sure. Have a great day my friend.