Sounds out of context

Marion, Kansas
I live pretty rural. Hardly any neighbors within sight. A big park/field across the street from me. But we can see the highway from our home, and it is a truck route. Lots of 18 wheel traffic. At night I keep thinking I hear helicopters, but there is no nearby airport. There is not a hospital with a life flight nearby, or a military base. I have been very confused. I was confused until I realized I was actually hearing air brakes on the semi trucks as they go around a curve in the high way. I think our other senses can be fooled as well. I have heard you can hold an onion under someone's nose when they are blindfolded and give them a bite of apple and they will swear it is onion. We know about people who imagine things and see things that are not there. That is called a mirage or hallucination. I know when we are on a long stretch of high way we can look ahead and see a shimmer of "water" that is not there. We hear about people who lose a limb and have phantom pain in the amputated part. I knew a lady that had a virus, and afterwards she constantly smelled burning crayons. One sign of Alzheimer's dementia is an inability to identify normal or common smells. So I am not too worried about my mistake with the sounds out of context.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I keep imagining I am hearing people outside in the hall way, but that is another story haha Would love to be rural like you GG.
• Marion, Kansas
It is really nice. I am still getting used to it, and occasionally think I hear people outside at night.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@GardenGerty Yes out in the country it is so quiet..you could think you were hearing people outside too..
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
At least you know it is not just your imagination!
• Marion, Kansas
No, not imagination, but a little confusion at first.
@gabs8513 (48803)
When it is very quiet I think there are noises that are actually not there as I sometimes hear Noises at Night when I have switched the lights of and all is quiet
• Marion, Kansas
It could be something that is part of the house or something.
I hope you soon get used to those noises. I've heard of people living next to railway lines or under airoplanes flight paths, and they say they hardly hear them after a while. Interesting points you make about the senses being fooled.
• Marion, Kansas
I have lived on busy streets and heard sirens all night. In my last house I was about three city blocks from train tracks. If I woke at night and I was very still I could hear the train and feel the house gently rocking.
@katsmeow1213 (28707)
Sometimes at night I think I hear a radio playing, it sounds like a talk show or something.. but then it turns out that it's just the fan and it sounds kinda weird.
• Marion, Kansas
That reminds me of two things. In our last house my son would have his radio playing under the air conditioning vent. I guess my mother in law could hear it in her guest room when she visited. Then last year my sister had an oscillating fan that squeaked in a certain place. She said she always heard a man and woman talking to each other.
@GardenGerty Strange. I remember when I was a kid I thought I heard a lumberjack chopping down a tree... it turned out I was hearing my heartbeat inside my ears when my head was on my pillow.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
Unfamiliar sounds can be very confusing at times. And sound travels in strange ways. Sometimes it sounds as if trucks are coming up our driveway, when in fact they're in a nearby street.
• Marion, Kansas
We have lots of limestone hills around and I know they bounce things around.
@valmnz (12574)
• New Zealand
@GardenGerty at the moment i'm enjoying cows mooing in the country.
I do that sometimes, I swear I hear 1 thing and then I ask my husband and he hears something different.
• Marion, Kansas
Hubby has some hearing issues and so this happens to us.
Horns, air brakes, kids yelling... it all becomes part of the fabric of city life. You start noticing these things when you move to the country. I think it helps you appreciate where you live, and where you don't, a little more.
• Marion, Kansas
Even our last house was not in a large town, but the noises did have a different context.
It is true about the phantom pain, trust me on this one.