Come Saturday Morning

Saturday Logo
@Raelove (16810)
Saco, Maine
All my life, Saturday as been my favorite day of the week. As a kid, it meant that school was out for two days and maybe even three if we were lucky enough to get a Friday or a Monday holiday. Saturday morning meant cartoons and saltine cracker and marshmallow cream sandwiches and chocolate milk. We'd watch our cartoons and squeeze the saltines so that we could see the marshmallow creme oozing out through the holes. On rainy days, we played inside. But on sunny ones, even in the winter, we had the whole day to go outside to romp in the backyard, ride our bikes up and down the sidewalk, play outdoor games like Red Rover and Statue, or go exploring as far as were allowed to. Later, Saturdays meant riding around town with friends, going to burger joints, pizza parlors and high school football games. And some time during that era, a musical group called the Sandpipers wrote a song called "Come Saturday Morning," which completely captured what I thought is the essence of a Saturday: feeling carefree and happy and forgetting everything that happened during the week. Today, I am thinking of all the good things that have happened to me lately, and it gives me the feeling that there are even more to come...like the rest of my life might very well be one long endless string of Saturdays! Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons
When you're retired every day is Saturday, or Sunday or Tuesday - every day is fun day.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
Well, Abby, it is unless you have some serious issues to deal with. For the most part, I love arriving at a Saturday after a week of problem-solving. Because that can feel like work, too!
@Raelove Problems are not restricted to weekdays - I don't have many problems thank goodness.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Good for you! No, they aren't restricted to weekdays. But once in awhile, a Saturday seems to bring about the culmination of a string of worry days. And it reminds me of why I have always loved Saturdays so much.
@lady1993 (18768)
I love Saturday too, unless there was a class or work
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
@lady1993 When I was in college, I loved Saturdays. I didn't live on campus, but I'd go there just the same, to the student dining hall where I'd buy something to eat and sit there for hours studying or reading. I'd also go to the campus library, as it was fun knowing I didn't have classes that day.
@lady1993 (18768)
@Raelove that sounds fun... maybe i would have done that too if my school wasn't super far away
@NeldaHoxie (1388)
I have to admit that I also love Saturday. The world feels different as people relax a litle
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
I agree, Nelda. The day just has a lighthearted feel to it!
@Raelove everyone seems happy on a Saturday
@crewgirl (191)
I loved Saturdays as a child for the same reasons you did. As an adult, I love Saturdays because it seems to be the only day of the week that I can hang out with my twin sister, who is also my best friend.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
@crewgirl I really do think that it is the best day of the week for a lot of people for different reasons. You never hear anyone saying the love Mondays or Wednesdays, unless they happen to not have much to do on those days.
We did basically the same at our house growing up. It was fun.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
It sure was, Marie. Some of my happiest memories are from those years.
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
What a nice way to remember the days,i also love weekends generally. It kind of make me feel like letting go and feeling free from it all
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
That's exactly it, Margaret.
@PhredWreck (6051)
While I appreciate the imagery, a long string of Saturdays would mean a long string of no paychecks for this Lamb.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
Now now, Lamb, I thought that you, of all people, would get the metaphor. Tsk. Impractically speaking, that is.
I still look forward to weekends even though I'm retired
@garymarsh6 (14264)
OH yes Saturdays were the best day of the week. No school No work time for fun and R&R!