Getting choked about the rugby

@boiboing (12481)
Northampton, England
20 years ago the Springboks won a famous victory over the All Blacks in the Rugby World Cup final. That morning, the team went for a run through the city before the game. This morning the same men of the 1995 squad went for a run in London ahead of today's semi-final. I've just seen a clip on the television about this which ended with the Springbok captain Francois Pienaar and the team standing around the statue of Nelson Mandela and singing their national anthem. Instantly I got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. Whether you love or hate rugby, the game was phenomenal. I recently watched Invictus, the dramatisation of that famous win, with three Dutch friends who knew NOTHING about Rugby and we all cried like babies at the end. But today, I'm entirely neutral for the Springboks against the All Blacks. Neutral with a little bit of a lean towards the Boks if you force me to choose.
I'm rooting for South Africa, and am watching it now. They are 2 points in front at the moment.
@boiboing (12481)
• Northampton, England
It looks to be very close, doesn't it?
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
@jaboUK well, the AB's had a close victory it seems. I've just woken to Sunday, will watch the game later.
@valmnz It's a good game Val - well done. I'll be rooting for you in the final
He did a lot for the people of south Africia.
But it wasn't really the rugby that make you tear up, it was the coming together of the people of South Africa. I lived there from 1997 to 1999. Lovely country, wonderful people.
@Inlemay (16541)
• South Africa
sadly the Boks had a tough game and right till the end, tried to hold one. thanks for your support - that was me getting choked up about everyones passion behind the boys
@boiboing (12481)
• Northampton, England
There's always next time! They did very well.
@Inlemay (16541)
• South Africa
@boiboing Absolutely - that goes for all the teams that have fallen by the way side - in 4 years time, they can all try again
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
We're a bit relieved here in New Zealand I guess. I haven't seen the game yet as I've just woken up, but I've seen the score.
@boiboing (12481)
• Northampton, England
It was indeed a very close game. It will be more relaxed for you to watch considering that you already know the score.
@valmnz (12758)
• New Zealand
@boiboing unfortunately I'm away from home and it could be a couple of days before I get to see it. Life unfortunately has other priorities at the moment.