Amazing! I went to TK Maxx and didn't buy ANYTHING

@boiboing (12525)
Northampton, England
I'm an erratic shopper. In fact it would be fair to say I don't really much like shopping in the conventional sense. I'm happier clicking a box on a screen from the comfort of my desk. But today I got to do some of my favourite shopping. We're staying in Salisbury with my parents and I always enjoy a trip round the city's market and a visit to TK Maxx. Firstly an aside - for the American readers, TK Maxx is the UK version of what you know as TJ Maxx. I used to work with a girl who'd been in HR for the company and she claimed they changed the name to TK because it was in the UK. I've always suspected that's a big fat fib and they changed the name because there's a competitor with very similar positioning called TJ Hughes. I don't think I've ever been into a TK Maxx and not bought anything - until today. I usually get tempted by the toiletries, lured into the lingerie, and hungry for household bargains. Today I lost my shopping mojo and walked out with nothing. I was tempted - seriously tempted - by a NEOM candle but at £25 (down from £45) there was absolutely no way that I could really justify such a buy. I have several friends in the UK and the US (maybe I should call it the UJ by the logic of the company) who adore TK/TJ Maxx and just can't resist their discounts. Are you one of the Maxx fans?
I have never seen one of those stores where I live here in Canada.
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
REALLY? Wow, I would have assumed they'd have gone to Canada before they went to the UK.
• Denmark
You've written many more posts than I thought. Obviously we aren't notified about someone writing a post, only about comments.
@cahaya1983 (9571)
I don't like going shopping and coming out with nothing, so I try to only go when I really do have something to buy in mind. Can't really remember the last time I went all out shopping.
i aint ne'er been in one, hon. think the closest is 'bout 100 miles from here? i dislike shoppin' myself 'n only go when absolutely necessary. i wonder't times if'n i fear the temptation to come home with schtuff that aint needed, but a mere fancy i'd gotten 't the time.
@katsmeow1213 (28925)
I tend to shop at Marshall's which is basically the same thing. But there have been numerous times I've left with nothing. The problem is, I used to think it was a great place to find deals... but later I realized it's just generally stuff the high price stores don't want to sell... like factory rejects. Some of it is overstock or outgoing styles.. but a lot of it seriously is factory rejects. I've but a few pairs of pants there that have ripped in the seam after being worn only once. After that I haven't gone there quite as much, and I rarely buy anything at all there.
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
I stick to the toiletries and household mostly and avoid the clothes.
@boiboing That's probably a good idea. I just have so many people to buy clothes for, we're always in need of something.
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
@katsmeow1213 I think there are better places for buying inexpensive clothes than the Maxx. It's more about buying expensive clothes at better prices.
I've never been in one but I've driven by one once, I'm not big on shopping inside a store but now that you've mentioned it I'll take a look at their online site. Does the UK have Walmart stores?
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
Walmart bought ASDA, one of the big 4 UK supermarkets.
I have so much to learn @boiboing Since I shop online a lot to save on gasoline I was going to mention shopping at Walmart.com, however it would seem you'd not be able to use that kind of information do you do online shopping for groceries and stuff?
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
@rebelann Most of our big supermarkets do home delivery - but I have a better solution; a husband who likes to do the food shop.
@PainsOnSlate (19212)
I know I've been in one or two of them. My problem is I'm a tightwad and don't like spending money. Unless i need it, I don't buy it.
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
That's very commendable.
@boiboing and boring too...
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
@PainsOnSlate not at all. Better to be careful than in debt.
• St. Petersburg, Florida
I have to watch my money. It's not that I don't like to buy pretty things, but I simply cannot afford it and still pay my bills. Once in awhile I will get something that I could probably do without, but I have to really need it or like it so much I'm on my knees. As pennance, I eat peanut butter sandwiches for three days. Just kidding. : )
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
Oh bless, that peanut butter penance would be too much for me.
@amnabas (9927)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I dont have any know how about this brand.
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
It's a store that is famous for heavily discounted big brands.
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I haven't been in TJ Maxx for years, although there is one near here. I think it's because of its location, it's not in one of the large malls, it's in a small group of stores that sit off a main highway . I just don't end up there very often. I think it's rather funny that they changed it to TK Maxx there. I guess that means there isnt' a real TJ Maxx. Another shopping illusion destroyed.
I went there today looking for ugg boots. I lelft after finding non and went to Marshall's and put a pair of bear pawz on hold.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm a pretty boring shopper and don't usually get lured into things. Go to Home Depot. Grab wood filler, 150 grit sandpaper, and wood glue. Buy. Leave. Sometimes I surprise myself at Trader Joe's, though.