Pubs Visited And Beers Consumed Last Night

Pub sign for The Castle Hotel, Manchester, taken by me
Preston, England
The local real ale campaign group did a real cider crawl round Manchester’s Northern Quarter district last night, though I stayed on bitters, as I’m not particularly big on ciders. I was out early so I went to Bar Fringe before going to the first pub on the crawl itself. I knew that someone who owed me some money might be in Bar Fringe and he was so I had more to spend in the last few days of the month. At Bar Fringe I had Rudgate Brewery’s Brew 22, which was a delicious creamy rich chocolate stout, and one I could happily drink all night. ***** I walked from there to the nearby slightly more expensive Pie & Ale, where I joined the first of the real alers and noticed that many were also heretically staying with bitter though a few were honouring the cider crawl brief too. My chosen bitter here was Siran Elusive’s Dinner For Eight, a steady headed hoppy amber coloured beer with a pleasant lingering aftertaste. It was a bit pricy at this bar, but a good session ale strength of 4.1%. **** We headed round to The Castle next, where some friends were having a poetry event which they thought I had come along to attend. I let them know I was double booked and wished them well. Beer wise I chose a Halloween promotion beer, one of the few I saw on this crawl – Robinson’s Trick Or Treat, a 4.2% strength ale promoted with a Jack-A-Lantern pumpkin shaped beer clip. It was surprisingly dry for a golden beer, but with a sweet and subtle aftertaste. A trick or treat delight without being scary. ***** One of my friends was so enthusiastic about a 4.1% beer at The Castle called Deception, brewed by Abbeydale that I decided to try that too, though I just got a half of this as we would be moving on soon. It was a citrusy cool refreshing thirst quencher, and a perfect beer with which to follow a dry one like the Trick Or Treat. It was a very light coloured ale with a hint of oranges. ***** We went to Bar Fringe then, with it being my second visit of the night. I avoided the temptation to reacquaint myself with the Chocolate beer and tried the Wood Street Brewery’s 4.2% WSB ale instead. It was a fine light golden ale but nothing distinctive. *** Our final bar was The Crown & Kettle on the edge of Ancoats, We met two real ale enthusiasts visiting our fine city from Devon here and trying out our bars. My beer of choice here was a Beer Nouveau ale, which was great but I sadly didn’t get a chance to make notes on its name or qualities. A big thank you to everyone who took part last night. Arthur Chappell
@destry (2526)
• Kirkwall, Scotland
I do love real ale me
• Preston, England
it is among my favourite things in the World
@destry (2526)
• Kirkwall, Scotland
@arthurchappell I've been fortunate enough to work in two local micro breweries and am good friends with a micro cider maker. All have a great back door policy!
@WorDazza (10070)
• Manchester, England
@destry great back door policy! Fnaarr, fnaarr! Sorry, couldn't resist!!
You tasted a lot of ale yesterday Arthur, but I see none of them really strong. I also like like coloured and not too strong ales.
• Preston, England
I do enjoy stronger ales too but I would drink them more slowly accordingly