Well, That Was Fun. Not!

@Raelove (15132)
Saco, Maine
Notice the time this post was written: 2:49 a.m. I am never up at this time, ever, and even less online. I am usually tucked safely away in my bed right now, but yesterday had different plans for me. For a few months now, I've had occasional bouts of abdominal pain that radiates from the center out to the sides. It usually goes away by itself, but yesterday, it did not. No matter what I did, it just kept getting worse, until I wanted to die, literally. Yes, it was that bad. My landlady has always told me that if I ever need to go the hospital, to call her and save the ambulance fees. But I was in too much pain to even walk, and if someone else brings you in, you have to go through triage and answer all kinds of questions before they even bring you to a room. I was in way too much pain for that, so I called 911. I got to the ER at 7 p.m. and am just now getting home. Once there, I was wheeled into a room and examined. Then, a nurse hooked up some morphine for me, and that made all the difference. Within 15 minutes, the pain was gone, and I hadn't felt that relaxed and comfortable in hours. They did an ultrasound and a CT scan and learned that what I had is called biliary colic, a condition that arises when the gall bladder starts to spasm either from overeating, eating too fast, or eating greasy foods. The first doctor mentioned making some dietary changes, but I was way ahead of him on that. The second doctor who took over at shift change said that I should have the gall bladder out at some point. But I told him I will try to address it with diet first. I have never had surgery other than having my tonsils out in 1959, so I don't want to break that record if I can help it. So now I am home, and it's almost time to get up, but I am just getting to bed. While I was in the ER, I prayed a lot. And once again, God didn't let me down!
Gallbladder you too!? This is definitely that time of the year, I had to rush to the doctor last Thursday and he also performed blood test and ultrasound. For me it's an infection, I am getting antibiotics.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck Yes, I read about the infection. And it can get pretty serious. I will probably think of having it out at some point.
• Lakewood, Colorado
They said kidney stone right Anna? Did they pass at all yet?
@TiarasOceanView Yes, they are so small that they were passing, but they had created a bacterial infection. This is what I am now fighting with the antibiotics. I feel almost completely well now.
I have gallbladder problems and I had a nuclear test to find out how well it functions, not too good, but the surgery told me not to have it removed...I liked his answer. The GB does react badly to certain foods and it seems to act up in the eyeing or night - you do need to worry about what you eat so you don't go thru that again.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Definitely. One of the ER doctors said it should come out, but I'm going to give it some time and see what happens. I need to go through my food supplies and make a bag for the food pantry. I'm determined!
@Raelove I can't eat greasy food, fried food, nuts, spices, - if I happen to eat something like that I pay for it.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I know the feeling. Those are all foods I should avoid, too.
@Rollo1 (16688)
• Boston, Massachusetts
You did the right thing. It might have been something more of an emergency. If you do decide to have the gall bladder out, it might help, but my brother did and he still has a host of digestive issues. I think that even I have had to accept that my digestive system is no longer made of cast iron. I used to eat anything and now, certain things just kill me.
@rollo1 digestive issues such as?
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@Rollo1 Thanks, I know I did. That kind of pain is indescribable. I'm going to be very careful what and how I eat until I'm moved into my new place, where there are no stairs at all, and then consider the surgery. I have to go through my regular doctor for that. I'm feeling a whole lot better today, which is 150% than I felt yesterday about this time.
@blitzfrick (2996)
Gall bladder pain is awful! I dealt with mine for a long time but finally had to have it taken out. Good thing, too, it was about to burst. The doc said it was full of "gravel" and was beginning to affect my liver. The surgery wasn't too bad, they did it with a tiny incision and sucked the offender out of me. The recovery wasn't painful but it took my body about a year to adjust to not having a gall bladder. Good luck, and don't neglect your body when it's trying to tell you something's wrong.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@blitzfrick My gall bladder had broken apart, so it came out in pieces. I have 3 small incisions and 1 for the drain, which was taken out before I came home. Recovery isn't so much painful as draining. I feel so weak and tired. And you're right about something missing. Food doesn't taste good to me now, so I am eating just the right amount and just drinking lots of fluids. So far so good.
@Raelove Now that you mention it, I believe I had more than one incision too. You'll get your appetite back, I promise. Apparently the body forms a new "gallbladder" (not a real one, like the missing one, but a sort of minimal "area" where the old one used to be). The bile for digesting is now produced by the liver. Aren't our bodies wonderful? Btw, I saw this surgery referred to as "keyhole" surgery. Clever.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@blitzfrick I got 3 incisions and 1 for the drain. Because of my weight, the surgeon said she almost had to make a larger one to be sure to get all the pieces, as the gall bladder had broken apart. I had no stones or gravel. It was just very inflamed. I don't miss it at all!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh dear my friend I am so sorry!! I can understand what you mean about that pain. I once had similar pain and it was worse than having a child. It was my back, but I can relate. Glad they gave you that morphine..what an excellent hospital! I am not sure but I believe my Mom had her gall bladder out and she was fine..and is fine. Just in case you ever have to have it done. You did the right thing to call the ambulance. Wow, you were not expecting this and see we never know what our day will bring us. Here is some nice flowers to cheer you friend. I pray you will improve with diet.
Glad that the ER doc gave you something for the pain. When I had my first attack of gallstones, mine refused to give me anything. I was ready to kill him. I had those attacks for years and the last one was it for me. I had a laparoscopy which is very easy compared to the surgery they used to do.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@marlina Oh no..what a stupid doctor marie..so sorry you suffered so much
@dodoazo (10069)
God answers everything as long as you have strong and unwavering faith with Him.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, he does!
@dodoazo (10069)
@Raelove Glad to hear that. I am happy for you.
What a scary and painful experience. Hope you are feeling better now and can avoid surgery
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
I did have the surgery as you will see in my latest post. Thanks!
@simone10 (22269)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I am so very sorry that you are not feeling well and glad that you didn't have to have surgery. I hope you are able to control it with diet.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, @Simone10 . It's very simple surgery, though, so it might be wise to have it done at some point.
I'm so sorry that you were so awfully ill yesterday. That must have been so frightening. I am glad that you were able to seek medical attention right when this was evident so that you could get a proper diagnosis. I hope that you're able to rest today-your body will need it after all of that stress.
@Raelove (15132)
• Saco, Maine
@Juliacvv This took a lot of out of me, as I am also still battling this cold I've had all week. I feel drained today but otherwise quite well. I was terrifying. I've never ridden in an ambulance, but I don't remember much of it as I was in so much pain that I was moaning.
Wishing you the best!
Are you okay now?
Pain is never a good thing. I hope you can resolve yours.