Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

@tallawah (7344)
Kingston, Jamaica
I was writing a comment to a discussion on the English Classes on Mylot. I mentioned how I had been slapped down on another site for using British English. British English is spelt differently. American - Color British - Colour, for example. On another site I was attacked; "What is with all these 'U's?" I thought it would amuse those who write British as opposed to American English. Well, it was understood by some, but of course, there would be the one who would 'report me' as if I were ridiculing? some one or something. It reminds me of an English chap who had written something like; "It was a filthy night and I had to toss another faig on the fire..." (It was cold and rainy and he put another block of wood on the fire in his fireplace) and was Reported for 'Hate Speech'.
• Denmark
I can't believe it! How absolutely ridiculous! I'm German. I learnt British English at school. I taught British English as a foreign language at secondary grammar schools in German for 40 years. I've been o English speaking sites for 15 years and have only ever used British English. I'm waiting for someone to accue me of this. People should care more about the spelling and grammar problems they have with their own native language!!
@destry (2436)
• Kirkwall, Scotland
I must say how refreshing it is to see people learning British English, (or, Proper English as I know it). I am always annoyed to see spell checkers tell me that I am wrong in my spelling, when I know that I am right!
• Marion, Kansas
Sites like myLot should help broaden our perspective. We do not put others down, at least not deliberately and hatefully. In the past myLot has had software that would exclude word that might be offensive.
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
@tallawah - did you ever hear about an American publisher of a newspaper (sorry I don't know which one) who always refused to use the word gay and substituted homosexual instead. When the runner Tyson Gay won a medal, their auto-correct changed every incident of his name to 'Tyson Homosexual'.
@tallawah (7344)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@boiboing oh, that is fantastic!
• Lakewood, Colorado
This is very sad..myself having lived both countries, I often use the British spelling. So far I have not had anyone point it out. But surely this 'ignorance' of other countries should be remedied.
@tallawah (7344)
• Kingston, Jamaica
You are very lucky Ocean, I tend to find those sites which condemn Britiish English. Bad lucky I guess.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@tallawah Honestly, it is not appropriate for those sites to do so, as the internet is an international community..respect.
@tallawah (7344)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@TiarasOceanView Exactly! When I just look over a few contributors, from Wales to the Phillipines, to America to Jamaica...one must appreciate it is a Global Village.
I saw that reaction to your comment, but the OP must just have missed your quotation marks and didn't realise what you were getting at. It was, as you say, a misunderstanding and the OP was just sticking up for what she thought was right.
@tallawah (7344)
• Kingston, Jamaica
To protect myself, I'll just avoid any site that I note the user is on. Someone might be looking for a fight and I'm just not available.
@tallawah I agree that it's best to avoid confrontation.