Local History Week

By Val
@valmnz (12577)
New Zealand
This first week of November is my favourite week in the city where I live. This is local history week. We have a strong community of local historians, writers, researchers and our city library archives are amazing. The local library organises a week long programme celebrating events, people and places of the past. All the talks and activities are free and advertised well within the community. There's quite a variety of things and subjects, usually something for everyone. This year's programme has far too many things going on that interest me. I'm going to have to be selective. I have only one thing I'm going to today, not till this evening. But, tomorrow I'll be having an overload of information day! I'm really looking forward to what is in store this week.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
Local history can often be far more interesting than history in general.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
I totally agree, it tells us so much about who we are and where we live.
@Asylum (45897)
• Manchester, England
@valmnz I have always found it strange that many people will pay for excursions and tours around a resort while on holiday, yet pay little attention to their own ancestry.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
@Asylum there's a strong interest in social history here in New Zealand, possibly because the European population has only been here less than 200 years
Are all the events held actually in the library, or do you visit places of interest around the town?
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
Both Janet. The talks are either in the city library or the museum. Some are in outlying area libraries. There are also walks and visits to old sites or buildings. But the library co-ordinates it all.
@valmnz It sounds so interesting Val.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
@jaboUK it really is. I've put my schedule on the fridge, so my husband knows when he can expect to see me :-)
• Denmark
What would your schedule look like if the historyof NZ were as old as that of a European country?
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
This is not the history of NZ. It is simply celebrating people and places that have gone into making our city the place it is. There are a range of different interesting topics every year. It's social history, not political.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
@MALUSE I should also have added, it's not just the history since European settlers arrived, but our Maori history goes back a long, long way.
• Denmark
@valmnz Are there written documents of the early Maori history?
You may get some 'look in' into your favourite subject 'baths'
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
Unfortunately no, as I'm considered the expert on that topic. I was asked to run a session this year, but have delayed it till next year.
@valmnz You want to be better prepared perhaps. That is good thinking.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
@allknowing I wasn't ready when asked last year. Now that there is more public interest in my project I can be assured of a wider audience it's all about marketing
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
One of the great things about being a History teacher for so long was that it always gave me an excuse to dig into the local history. I love the museums which are found in so many small towns (our own town even has one.) The museum in Dargaville is probably the best I've seen - well worth a look if you're ever up in Northland.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
Don't think I've been to that one but there are some brilliant ones around the country. And of course there's Te Papa.
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
@valmnz - Te Papa is wonderful, though it's been about a decade since my last visit.We need to take Dom on our next trip to Wellington. He's been to Auckland Museum a couple of times and enjoyed the experience, but Te Papa is more comprehensive and interactive, from what I remember.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
@troyburns Dom would love it. And the exhibitions often change, I go at least twice a year. Our museum here is like a much smaller similar version of it, very modern in its approach
The only history about where I live is ---- probably not much come to think of it!
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
But someone settled the place, developed the farms, and all that. That's what social history is all about don't you think.
@valmnz You'd have to go to the only barber shop in town and sit down with the goold ol'boys (locals) and ask them. and they aren't big on talking to new people! New is even living here two plus years.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
@AbbyGreenhill ha, ha, I have a vivid picture in my mind now! I know what you mean though. Even though I was born here and lived here my first 21 years, I'm still new in town after 11 years.
It sounds like a fun week. I hope you're writing down all the amazing info you're gleaning.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
I'm learning as much about the process of non-fiction writing as I am about the topics. It's definitely a stimulating week. I took time out today to get some of my writing done.
Last week we had a book fair, where I found interesting local books with the history of this area. I loved to go through the old black and white photos of the places that I visited when I was a kid. It is incredible how everything changes.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
Which is why it's so important the stories of these places are preserved.
@wetnosedogs (1576)
I do love history.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
I like the people who have made a difference kind of stuff.
That is just great. Sounds like a great week ahead. Hope you will share some with us.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
I'm sure I'll be able to sneak in a few snippets here and there
@xFiacre (9797)
@valmnz Local history can be as interesting as the grand international affairs of state and make us feel a lot more connected to the past I think.
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
I'm always amazed at the things I learn at these events. Okay, our city is only 140 years old if you consider European history here, but there's the Maori history as well.
sounds like it is right up your alley!
@valmnz (12577)
• New Zealand
I love it! And have made some valuable contacts through it.