Always read the TOS

@tallawah (7364)
Kingston, Jamaica
The TOS; that is the Terms of Service, need to be read. Not just clicked on. Most people click; "I agree," and never read what they agreed to. When something happens and they complain, they are shown the 'fine print'. They agreed. Before I learned to read the TOS I joined a site and posted something. When I went to delete it, I couldn't. I didn't own it any more. My article, getting pennies, no longer mine. On another site there was a competition. We were given a topic, and everyone wrote on it. Then, we were told that the winners would be included in a hard copy. We were to agree to this. I didn't. I didn't, because if I signed I lost my copyright and my item could be published any where, sold, made into a movie, but I would get Nothing. When you join a site you want the right to remove your item. You may want to make it into a story and publish an E book, you may want to make it into a radio play and send it to the BBC. You may want to make it into a longer article and publish it elsewhere. If you have lost your copyright, you can't. So always read the Terms of Service
@Missmwngi (9694)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Nice advice,i don't always read them to be sincere
@tallawah (7364)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I didn't read the TOS when I joined Factoidz which allowed them to take my work and lock me off the site and pay nothing. I read the TOS of Yahoo Voices, which clearly said it would take my copyright, so I didn't join them.
@Missmwngi (9694)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@tallawah I will pay attention next time lest i get into trouble our of ignorance
@tallawah (7364)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Always read it carefully...
@Bluedoll (16820)
??Do we actually loose our copyright even though we can loose some rights? We can agree to let others use our material as they see fit but isn't everything we write still our work. Though we might not have the right to get it back as we agree with a contract, we are still the author of said work regardless of tos?
@tallawah (7364)
• Kingston, Jamaica
No. You gave away your copyright. For example, Yahoo Voices! took your copyright. Their terms of service Clearly set out that anything you posted on the site became Their property whether you were paid or not. You have to read the TOS to know whether you have assigned your copyright or not.
That is good advise you just gave. Read the fine print.