The Cure Is Worse Than the Disease

@FourWalls (15820)
If you've ever seen an ad on TV for a medication you've probably noticed that a 60-second commercial usually includes 45 seconds of side effects. I'm feeling that with the Gabapentin I'm taking. The first pill I took knocked me out for four hours. The second one has me suffering with a headache that's almost at a migraine level. (Ironically, one of Gabapentin's many uses is the treatment of migraine and cluster headaches.) If there's any positive, the thing they prescribed it for (tendonitis in my arm) seems to have less pain. I don't know if the trade-off of the bad headache is worth the eased pain, however. I've been told by my doctor the side effects wane rather quickly as your body becomes acclimated to the medicine, but if that doesn't happen I have to decide if the cure is worse than the disease it's treating.
@carexing25 (1820)
i have also experienced that.. bought a medicine and the side effect was worst than my disease so i stopped taking those meds
@FourWalls (15820)
The one that scares me the most is the antidepressants with the warning, "May cause new or worsening depression." Duh! What is the point of taking an antidepressant if it's going to worsen, not improve, what it's supposed to be treating?????
@FourWalls yeah, better not take them if that's the case
@Pattitude (1298)
• Newton, North Carolina
I have eliminated all the toxic pharmaceutical meds out of my life. Of course, you should check with a Naturopathic Doctor (ND), but Alpha-lipoic acid is a great alternative to Gabapentin, which has many side effects. Alpha-lipoic acid is found in our body and helps in metabolizing energy. Not only a strong antioxidant, it is a water- and fat-soluble coenzyme. It helps to improve sensitivity to insulin and treats neuropathy, just like gabapentin. Alpha-lipoic acid increase blood circulation to the nervous system, increases antioxidant levels and speeds up nerve conduction.
@FourWalls (15820)
Thanks for the information. I've replaced the gabapentin with B vitamins, and I feel much better!
Allopathy does that. There are always side effects. If I can survive without them I would not touch them with a barge pole.
Most cure are worst than the disease they cure. If the body becomes acclimated it's not a very good thing, the side effects disappear, but also the benefits.
@sofssu (14894)
Oh wow.. it is frightening. I hardly take any medication. Hope you find something that will really help you.
When you listen or read about all the side effects it is pretty frightening.
I doubt if there is one med that doesn't have side effects, some are just more potentially dangerous than others.