Instant Dollar Store Karma

Pleasant Hill, California
The lady in front of me at the Dollar Store had kind of "taken cuts" on me, but I didn't mind. When she was trying to pay for her ten or so items, I noticed her Eastern European accent, and that fact that she was 7 cents short and a bit confused. The checker looked impatient. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a dime, which I placed on the counter. The lady with the accent smiled warmly, said "Thank you," and the transaction was completed. My main purchase was a plunger, which I'm using to try and remove a minor dent from my truck's hood (it's an experiment--I'm trying to be like Dent Pro). But I bought some shampoo to make my hair fluffy, and some other products, including some health food in the form of Boston Baked Bean Candies. As I was leaving, feeling pretty good about myself for having helped the flustered Eastern European lady, I heard a chorus of voices saying "Sir!" and "Mister!" and "Hey!" I had forgotten to pick my my plunger, my original reason for stopping there! Everybody laughed as I retrieved it, and someone said "Probably the only thing you came here for!" to which I responded, "You are so right!" Yep, what goes around comes around, sometimes in less than 30 seconds.
Good luck getting that dent out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I just YouTubed something about alternating heat and cold. My plunger method reduced it, but it's not totally gone. I may try some hot water, like I do with my speakers. I'd like to understand the physics involved!
@TheHorse ...warm water would help to expand it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I tossed some hot water on it last night and did a few pulls. I may have to do a post about it!
That was nice of you, but careful, another saying is equally true. No good deed goes unpunished. I like yours better.
@TheHorse She was The Peter Principle personified. So sad when this sort of thing happens.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElizabethWallace It's impossible not to be frustrated when you work with an individual like that.
@TheHorse True and far too common in my opinion.
@DeborahDiane (21675)
• Laguna Woods, California
I do things like that all the time ... forget the main reason to go to a store!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think I had my dish soap, tea, and shampoo in hand before I remembered the plunger.
I just love boston baked beans. I can eat more and more then I should be eating. I buy about three boxes when I hit the dollar tree.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've been good. Nibbling. Bought one big box. Still working on it.
@sallypup (27123)
• Moses Lake, Washington
This would make a wonderful short story. I love your health food. I almost picked up a bag of those tasties the last time I was at the dollar store.
• Pleasant Hill, California
The ones at the Dollar Store are (almost) always stale. But I don't think that reduces their nutritional value. And they sure are good with coffee!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@sallypup You made me laugh out loud! When a dog walks away from a treat, you know it's not very good. I won't buy food at the Dollar Store beyond my Boston Baked Beans and 42 oz bottles of Arizona Green Tea.
That was nice of you, and so glad that it came back to you so quickly.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I live in California, and sometimes long for my Midwestern days, when helping others out was automatic. So I do my best to be a Midwesterner even here. It does spread around a bit.
One good turn deserves another and that too so many rallying round you!
• Pleasant Hill, California
They were nice. It was a fun moment.
@TheHorse And also a moment to walk with the head held high. You helped someone in need
• Pleasant Hill, California
@allknowing And I think my kindness spread to those around me. They were enthusiastic about helping me when I almost forgot my precious plunger. Sometimes we forget that both kindness and grumpiness spread to those around us.
It sure did come around pretty fast.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy ittle moments like that, when people come out of their shells and are nice to each other.
Sometimes I go to the store for one thing and I come home without that one thing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Funny how we get distracted. My original plan was something like "plunger and maybe some other stuff."
@salonga (28016)
Now I believe all the more that saying"What comes around, goes around"... I will always remember that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
There is truth to that statement in many ways. Mostly, it just feels good to "do the right thing."
Let me know if the plunger works to remove the small dent. I would like to try the same, but I would not like to be killed by the "man".
• Pleasant Hill, California
Wait--who is "the man"? Here, that would be cops. Zeno's paradox is getting me--I'll have to post about it.
@TheHorse The "man" is my husband, he does not like to see me around his stuff, like cars or his personal computer. But when needed, I open his computer and clean it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Does he know when you clean his computer?
Well, hope the plunger helps. Karma is a good one to keep a handle on.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh.The handle has stayed on so far. The dent is reduced but not totally gone.
@TheHorse ....With some good shading effects in painting I bet you could totally eliminate the dent completely. LOL
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle Oh dear. I'd need one of those sidewalk artists to helpme.
@Freelanzer (8969)
You were so giddy with the joy of giving that you forgot your plunger. All's well that ends well.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think you may be right! I was also being frugal and not buying a 10 cent bag, so I was busy stuffing my sweatshirt pockets with Boston Baked Beans, a 4-pack of Wrigley's Spearmint gum, etc, while figuring out how to carry my dish soap and other essentials with two hands. The reason I went there got forgotten for a moment.
@sishy7 (27647)
I just came across this post upon seeing it on the 'You Might Also Like" list next to my own instant karma post... I had a similar situation except mine came back with a vengeance...