A Remote Argument

@Rollo1 (16686)
Boston, Massachusetts
I was browsing Amazon yesterday, checking out knitting looms, yarn and all things crafty. I was looking at a loom that is swirled in an S shape, so you can make really wide items but still keep your work handy on your lap. As I normally do, I started reading reviews. The first one made me laugh out loud because the guy reviewing it said he had bought this for his wife and it was great, because it kept her so busy knitting while they watched TV that she didn't even complain about what shows he watched. I found it pretty funny that he bought the loom for her so she wouldn't argue with him over possession of the remote control. The Man and I watch TV at different times during the day, but in the evenings we decide together what to watch. Each of us tries to avoid picking things that the other person would hate. How do you decide what to watch on TV with your partner or other family members? Do you vote on it, or is there a race for the remote? Do you ever argue over who wields the remote control? Or do you live alone and always have possession of the controls?
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
Mrs WorDazza is definitely in control. Doesn't bother me as I have plenty of other stuff to do and as she tends to go to bed by about 9pm I get to watch what I want after that.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
That seems fair, you share control. She is in control unless she's not there, then you get to be in control. But what if she ever starts staying up late?
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
I like that your not possessive of the remote
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
@Rollo1 Won't happen. I usually slip something into her cup of tea!!!
The key to a good marriage - separate TV;s...he has his and I have mine in separate rooms - we can see each other (or not) as we wish.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
That's the time we spend together. I mean aside from sitting together at the same computer desk all day. But we have special programs we watch together and our tastes are similar, but with enough diversity to make it worth paying for Netflix so we can each find what we like.
@vickyrose (2016)
• Canberra, Australia
@abbygreenhill yes indeed, we should let each other grow as individuals
@Rollo1 We are together 24/7 for the last 14 years - there are some shows we watch together but not many. I was single for 16 years before I met him and I'm not good on sharing my TV!
@sofssu (14448)
WE watch the evening news together.. when he wants to watch football I am mylotting.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Neither of us ever watch the news, we both get news online for the most part. Very rarely will I turn on the news.
We have different TVs, it has saved our marriage!! Right now I am in the family room and he is in the bedroom.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I really like watching TV together, but we don't agree on all shows. There are shows that we spend a lot of time discussing together, so those are the ones we watch together at night. Daytime we just watch at different times.
@Rollo1 My husband will watch murder and mayhem 24/7 I can only take that in small does. He does watch an occasional movie with me but now that we are retired we are together A LOT!! lol
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@BelleStarr Mine could watch endless hours of documentaries about WWII battles and airplanes, etc.
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Here we always have fight for the remote. I wished if a TV had more than 2 remotes
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
You need more televisions. More remotes would only compound the problem.
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
@Rollo1 yes i indeed forget that i need more TV.
@rakski (20768)
we used to fight before with my siblings. because we have only 1 tv before.
We don't have a TV, but we watch Netfliks online. There are certain shows He won't watch. I tell myself I'll watch them during the day when he's not at home, but I never do.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I watch the shows he doesn't like while he's on his computer. We both actually hear the shows we aren't watching, so it isn't a perfect system.
@Rollo1 Yes, I remember the ball games in the background growing up. I can't stand hearing them today.
We have a DVR, so we just take turns picking, dont miss a thing!
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
We pretty much only watch TV through the Roku, so it's not matter of missing things as much as choosing which things we will watch. I do watch TWD on Sundays, if I can remember to turn it on.
@Rollo1 there would be a fight if both of our fav shows were recorded lol!
@carexing25 (1822)
there are little arguments, a race would happen between me and my mom. but when she's not around and when hubby and I are left in front of the tv, we watch the same show .. so no arguments over the remote..
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
It's good that you like to watch the same things, it's not something people should argue about.
We have shows that we watch together at night.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
We enjoy our TV together time.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
We come together as a family at about 9.30pm and watch a movie .... but at other times of the day we generally have similar Tastes anyvway, bug I usually look avter the remote for volume control.... lol...
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I have noticed that the TV is never loud if I am watching it but it is if he is, even if we don't adjust the volume.
No contest. We each have our own TV. My son's is in his room where he games, watches Netflix or Hulu + and my TV in the living room is off most of the time except for Sunday's.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
We watch the livingroom TV, the kids have their own. I have one in my bedroom but I have nothing hooked up to it so we can't watch it. Probably better not to have it on.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
This is one of the benefits of living alone, I never need to watch a soap opera.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I never watch soap operas. But I like old movies, old TV shows and the occasional stupid current show.
@softbabe44 (5899)
• Vancouver, Washington
Thats what i did the other day hubby was watching his brother play a game i went up stairs to watch my movie.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I don't have another TV hooked up. I need to get another Roku.
• Vancouver, Washington
@Rollo1 That would probably will work out if you got another roku.
@mom210 (6779)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I watch things he is not interested in when he is not home, he does the same. We watch mutually entertaining things together.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think that's the way to do it. Everyone is happy that way.
@mom210 (6779)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Rollo1 You know what they say, if the man is happy everybody is happy
@rakski (20768)
We almost always have our own time for watching. The kids watch in the afternoon, we watched the news early evening. My husband loves to watch sports so I give him time for that. But when I wan to watch my favorite TV shows, my husband is in charge of the kids. My husband loves sports and horror which I do not like, I love reality tv, and those involving to solve cases like csi, bones, ncis and other investigative movies.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
As long as everyone gets a turn, it's fair. I don't like horror, either.
@rakski (20768)
@Rollo1 Oh yes, I usually demand my time for watching because it is the only time I get to myself other than mylotting
We do watch a bit of TV together, mostly documentaries and real crime stories and business shows. The sports time is not watched together as I don't care about sports at all.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
We don't watch much sports, Sometimes The Man or The Boy will watch soccer (football). The only other sport is Formula One and I watch the races, too.
It is true that the review was funny. About what to watch in the evening, we do the same, we decide together and we pick up something that we both like.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I thought it was funny because he praised it for keeping her busy so he could have the TV. I like our evening TV time together, it's nice to have that time set aside.
@Dragonairy1 (1413)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
I mostly let him decide as I'm usually on the computer, I only complain if there's something I really want to watch.
@vickyrose (2016)
• Canberra, Australia
We have 2 tv's if he was first on the big one in the lounge, I go to the bedroom to watch my show. And vice versa
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I need to get a Roku for the one in my bedroom, but I am afraid I will start watching at bedtime.
@dodoazo (21035)
I have a TV show which entertains me well and gives me the latest what is happening but when my wife, my kids, my grandchildren take hold of the remote I give up and give them their time. I get back to my favorite place of seat and begin my routine of online work. Now when they'r done. I take the remote and watch my other TV series. I find it happier to see them happy. That is why I am very considerate with them.