The Good Old Days of Steam

Bunbury, Australia
From the butterfly house we made our way to a steam museum which was also near Straffan. However the notice at the entrance said the museum was only open certain days. As we'd already turned into the entrance and the motor home is difficult to turn in small spaces we drove into the car park to turn around. As we were leaving a well-dressed gent in a convertible came from another direction. We explained what we were doing and he insisted on us following him back towards the huge manor house. He then took us through the museum. He couldn't give us long, wouldn't take any money and told us to go through the walled garden at our leisure. The museum was set up by the gentleman's father-in-law, Robert Guinness, to house his father's collection of steam-driven engines. Robert had purchased an old church, the Great Southern and Western Railway Church, and had it rebuilt on the property at Straffan. Although the church was decommissioned and unused, the locals had opposed the moving of the church. In the end the spire was left behind. A new spire was commissioned for the museum and has a pig as a weather-vane on the top. The engines in the museum are all beautifully polished and in working order. Once a month they are started up for visitors. The light streaming in the windows made photography difficult. Another room housed early locomotive prototype models built by Ron Jarvis. Ron began modelling at the age of 63 and won nine Gold Medals for his works. All the models are from the early days of the industrial revolution. He concentrated on models which were unique or unusual even in their own time. Although I have no particular interest in steam engines, I did find the display fascinating, especially the workings of them – how this cog moves a bigger cog which drives a chain or whatever. Would you enjoy a visit to a steam museum?
I created this video with the YouTube Slideshow Creator (http://www.youtube.com/upload)
• Portland, Connecticut
I love any museum, some more than others but wasn't that ever so nice of him to do that for you. We tend to be very lucky that was as well and have had private tours of all sorts of places.
He couldn't have been kinder. We went through the garden then met the gardener who took us through again. I'll write about that next.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
There has always been something special about steam power and it is almost universally popular. The last time that I visited York I went to the National Railway Museum and ended up spending a whole day there.
We went to York but didn't get to that museum. Went to another museum which was excellent and York Minster.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv I regretted visiting York Minster because it was completely uninspiring.
@Asylum The highly touted stained glass window was completely covered for cleaning and it cost half a fortune to get into the cathedral. We weren't very impressed either.
@valmnz (12465)
• New Zealand
I most certainly would. I grew up alongside the railway yards as a child.
Vince's Dad was a guard in the railways and two sons were also employed there so there is a strong rail connection in his family. His eldest brother even has an LP of all the different engine whistles. I was blown away when I first learnt this.
@valmnz (12465)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv I'm not an enthusiast in that way just love trains. In fact, I'm just about to watch an episode of Slow Train through Africa
@valmnz Hope you enjoyed it! Sounds like it would have been interesting.
I have to say that I liked steam engines, the museum is fascinating. We still have a few old steam locomotives and an old steam boat on the lake.
Does the steam boat give rides to tourists? That would be fun.
@JudyEv Only to private groups, they do not want to pollute, so it's not used every day.
@LadyDuck We have a few that take tourists. They only run in the winter as in summer there is too much risk of sparks starting fires along the tracks.
@simone10 (21679)
• Louisville, Kentucky
What a great experience. You did find a lot of wonderful and helpful people along the way. First with the butterfly house and now here.
It was a very special day particularly as the previous day we were a bit lost and getting anxious about where we'd stay and voila! out of the blue there was the butterfly house.
@simone10 (21679)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@JudyEv Isn't if strange how things work out when you least expect it to?
I just like museums and seeing different things, so even if it wasnt my thing, I'd still have fun
I sometimes go into a place thinking 'this might be a bit ordinary' but then I get interested in something and really enjoy it.
@JudyEv I will stop and see anything of oddity or history once at least, when I can
@sofssu (14493)
Its always fun to watch and learn new things. I would have loved being there. Glad he took you to see them.
We were really pleased to be able to see them.
I wouldn't really be interested in seeing it myself, but I enjoyed your video.
I didn't I'd be interested either but once the cogs started turning and moved this, that and the other, I got a big hooked
• Marion, Kansas
I might enjoy it, especially as you describe everything in shining working order.
The workings on these mechanical things blow my mind sometimes.
hi just thinking that there is a museum in D eadwood SouthDakota htat had huge steam locomtives on exhibit too a really fasc inating place called the Adams Museum so if anyone is ever inSo uth Daloa thisis ub tghe Black Hills also there is a m use um of covered wagons the real ones from t he 1800s not so m uch talked about of co urse but they are all authentic a nd Mt Moriah has the graves of Calamity Jane and Wyatt Ear p too.
I would love to see the covered wagons. We saw a gypsy wagon or two. They are fascinating too.
@sueznewz2 (9647)
• Alicante, Spain
Great slide show.... thanks for sharing your photos... I would love to visit a steam museum.... I like museums....
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm reliving it all again through these posts.
@tuttiharris (1342)
• Chattanooga, Tennessee
@JudyEv (385), I love museums, and go as often as I can. We have several here in Chattanooga. And that was so nice of that man to let you all go through and him guide you, at no cost. You don't find many that are so nice. I am glad you guys got to go through the museum. Blessings.
Hi there. Lovely to see you here. I was blown away by the kindness of that man. We were on our way out and he could just have let us keep going.
I'm just posting some discussions on train rides. So the museum would be up my street.
I'll took out for your posts. We'd love to do the train trip across Australia but it is more expensive than flying.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd probably find it interesting. I always wonder what made some technologies take hold and others not.
Some models were cut in half so you could see all the intricacies. Fascinating stuff.
@Rollo1 (16653)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think I would enjoy that museum very much. I love the old locomotives and machinery.
There is something about the smell of steam trains I think.
I'd love to see a museum like that. I'd find it fascinating!
We would have liked to have gone back when they were being run but we couldn't make it.
@zebra2222 (5115)
It does sound fascinating to me. A part of history that you can really get steamed up about.
I got pretty steamed up about me - which surprised me a bit.
@Rosekitty (19445)
• San Marcos, Texas
I have never been to one of these museum's..I have sen Steam engines on tv and was fascinated but not in person. You have had a nice visit to many places..I'm jealous..
I like the smell of steam although the smoke can get in your eyes and the coal dust is a bit dirty. We were lucky to have such a wonderful trip.
@PainsOnSlate (20079)
Sounds fascinating and who would think you would run into a relative of the owner. It gave me goosebumps... I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and shared it with us.
He had absolutely no need to take us back especially as he was well and truly on his way somewhere else. A very kind person. Another random act of kindness.
@slund2041 (3384)
How interesting! It was so nice that the man offered you a chance to see it. The Steam engines sound interesting.
We thought it was very kind of him to go to so much trouble.