Language learning.

@xFiacre (10489)
Ireland
I admire an Iranian woman I met recently who had to leave Iran clandestinely for her own safety. She arrived in Ireland with her husband and child speaking no English whatsoever but within .six months she was speaking like a real Belfast woman. I asked her where she took lessons and she said that she didn't; she just talked to everyone she met and learned it that way. Another man I knew when I lived ion Paris arrived from Rio with no French at all and he too became fluent within six months. His method was to watch TV constantly. When people are put in a sink or swim situation they learn language quickly it would seem. The greatest handicap is keeping company with fellow speakers of your own language - that just inhibits learning the language of the country you have moved to.
I can quite believe this. I know children usually learn a language more quickly than adults but my little Egyptian nieces and nephews were speaking 'Strine' in no time at all when they spent a few months with their grandparents.
I learned French in school and when I moved to French I realized I poor my French was. I listened to the French radio all the day, after a few week I talked like a southern French woman.
@hereandthere (24138)
there are people who will only stick with their kind
It needs to have an environment to master a language. I have studied English from primary school until university. However, since I don't live in a place which spoken in English, I don't think I make a big progress. If I live in a foreign country for some time, I am sure it will be helpful for me to improve my English. Since I have enough chances to speak, listen, read and write.
@dodoazo (11201)
Adaptation is the key for the easy language learning. There is a saying that goes, "if you are in Rome do what the Romans do" This holds true in speaking a foreign languages for one's safety and security.
I totally agree with you on this topic. Being an English as a second language learner myself, I did immerse myself at the beginning. It works!