Controversial Subject

@nanette64 (11892)
Fairfield, Texas
Pregnancy and Welfare. Everyone knows that I am NOT 'Politically Correct'; I say what's on my mind. In the early days it was not uncommon for families to be large; due mostly to the fact that a lot of the children were necessary in the ranching and farming communities, beside the fact there was no birth control available at the time. In today's world, it is perfectly acceptable to have 5, 6, 7, etc., by a single female who doesn't want to work but gets all the benefits thereof; as in: food, clothing, utilities, free rent, etc. Our Welfare System is over-loaded with this type of mentality and it's not going to change because the 'system' would look like bad guys if they told those females, "Look, you keep having kids, you better figure something out because at the end of this year, you are cut off." You want to know how fast these women would stop having kids? Gee, and maybe find a JOB? If the government can tell people on Unemployment, "You have 2 years to find a job because at the end of those 2 years, that's it", then they can do the same with the Welfare System. It's time for the hard-working people who have to FUND the Welfare System, who sometimes work 2 jobs, to stand up and say they are sick and tired of funding the neighbor lady who sits at home all day doing nothing but getting pregnant.
This is how it works here, you have 18 months to find a job, after those months you get nothing.
@nanette64 (11892)
• Fairfield, Texas
Exactly @LadyDuck and that's why Switzerland is one of the smartest, wealthiest, countries in the world. Every country needs to pattern their government after yours.
@Rollo1 (16666)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think that the system is burdened by too much administration. As far as I can see, it often keeps people from getting a little assistance because they are working, and they get more if they stop working. We need to incentivize, and also provide an economy that is increasing those available jobs.
@nanette64 (11892)
• Fairfield, Texas
You are absolutely right @Rollo1 . It would make a huge difference.
@dianadee (1770)
• South Africa
Some people can take advantage of subsidies!
@nanette64 (11892)
• Fairfield, Texas
And it should not be allowed @dianadee . There should be deeper and more often investigations into the people who are on them. And the people on them should have to sign waivers of agreement that they will look for jobs and no more pregnancies.
@dianadee (1770)
• South Africa
The authorities have to check on people because of all the fraudulent claims!
I do agree with you. Over the years I have seen some big changes in the Welfare system but there needs to be more. I knew a woman when I was young (I'm 64) that would latch onto another hubby, have another baby so she would get more welfare income. It's amazing. That would fly now days but she got away with it for quite a while. About five kids worth.
I thought that they put a limit on the amount of children you can draw benefits on. Still even if I am correct they need to do more to get people out of the welfare system. It should just be a temporary stepping stone to help them.
@CRanney (451)
• Wingham, Ontario
I have seen this is Canada but you cannot be on Welfare without taking programs to find employment. Although woman like this would just claim disability. I see that a lot here and it is truly sad. The kids are the ones who suffer.
You can now only be on welfare for five years and that is it.