Pot roast and pecan pie!

@1creekgirl (11349)
We're having an appreciation day at church tomorrow for a man who has done so much for our church over the years. We have a plaque made for him and a card with a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. I'm planning to sing and my husband has a short speech, just telling some of the reasons we appreciate all this man's efforts. Of course we're having a covered-dish dinner afterwards. Hence the pot roast and pecan pie I'm also making an old-fashioned coconut pie, a broccoli casserole, roasted potatoes with carrots and onions, and ice-cold sweet tea! Any more suggestions to make his appreciation day more special?
Wish I could sneak in and sample some of that food
@1creekgirl (11349)
Well, it might be quite a drive for you to NC, but come on! The dinner and service turned out so well. We had tons of delicious food and our friend was really pleased with his "Appreciation Day."
@1creekgirl now if I had a superpower and could teleport I could have enjoyed some of that delicious food
@sallypup (27960)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Oh my aching stomach. Pecan pie. We're subbing walnuts in our pecan pie when Thanskgiving comes around- walnuts cause a friend let me glean some from her place. Congrats to your Good Samaritan.
@1creekgirl (11349)
Do you make it the same way, but use walnuts instead? Sounds yummy.
@sallypup (27960)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@1creekgirl Yes. Straight sub for pecans. We used to be in an area that had filberts so we used them instead of pecans. Very tasty. I also use honey instead of corn syrup.
@1creekgirl (11349)
@sallypup Don't think I've ever had a filbert. I might try the walnut pie sometime, though. Do you use English walnuts or Black walnuts?
@LeaPea2417 (21543)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I miss those pot lucks that my husband and I used to attend when we attended Church together. He had a falling out with that Church which caused him never to want to go to any Church again. So, I go alone now.
@1creekgirl (11349)
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know Satan will use every trick he can to drive people away from church. I know you're praying that your husband will realize that not all church members are like those at your former church. In the meantime, keep growing in the Lord and trust Him. He loves you and your husband.
@LeaPea2417 (21543)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@1creekgirl Thank you for the kind and encouraging words.
I loved reading about the menu that you planned.
@1creekgirl (11349)
Thanks! The other ladies also took lots of delicious dishes.
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
Those pies sound as if they will do the trick. Maybe you could give him a nice plant !
@1creekgirl (11349)
I though of that, but we decided to go with the plaque and a gift card to a nice restaurant. He seemed really pleased with the gifts and dinner.
It sounds like you have everything covered. Sure he appreciated it.
@1creekgirl (11349)
He really seemed pleased. We had a wonderful dinner. .it's good to let people know we appreciate them sometimes.
It sounds like you're going to feed the congregation with that menu. It sounds delicious, even the ice cold sweet tea to keep summer alive.
@1creekgirl (11349)
We usually have lots of good food at our dinners at church. It wouldn't be right, though without the sweet tea!
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I'll take some pecan pie, please
@1creekgirl (11349)
Come right on over...there will be plenty!
I think that's enough. The man will need some rest after this party!
@1creekgirl (11349)
We've got such a small congregation, but I hope everyone will be there. He deserves the party.
Pot Roast and pecan pie sound really good to me.