Not Just a Steam Museum - Lodge Park Walled Garden

Bunbury, Australia
I was supposed to post this before the one about Trim Castle but never mind. Lodge Park walled garden is attached to the steam museum. This was an extensive garden, heavily planted with a variety of plants. There was a beautifully maintained tennis court, vegetable garden and fruit trees. A little Cairn terrier called Crispy showed us around then, as we were leaving, the gardener caught up with us and took us around again, answering our questions with great patience. He had just handed in his notice and would soon be off to Atlanta, America to marry his fiancée. What a marvellous opportunity for an incoming gardener. The garden dates from the 18th century and has been under restoration for the last few years. The old brick-faced walls are clothed with climbers, fruit trees and roses. The apple trees are espaliered and berry bushes are enclosed in netting to keep the birds at bay. There were a number of box hedges and a magnificent white wisteria in full bloom. The greenhouse contains an interesting collection of unusual plants from all over the world. The sweet pea walkway was a favourite with Vince whose father used to grow sweet peas each year. And I have never seen such huge poppies. Topiary yew trees created some interesting shapes. Most walled gardens we saw had walls of ten to twelve foot in height. These walls provided protection from the weather. Fruit trees might be espaliered along the walls which provided enough warmth to allow the trees to thrive and bear fruit. Another walled garden we went to had been totally cleared of its vegetation and was a caravan park. We had a most enjoyable night there although I found it a bit sad that the garden had not been maintained. Have you been to a walled garden? They are popular tourist attractions nowadays but were often created at some distance from the house as they were seen to be unattractive.
I created this video with the YouTube Slideshow Creator (http://www.youtube.com/upload)
That sounds like a wonderful place and it's nice to hear about these things that we otherwise wouldn't know about.
I would love to have a walled garden of my own but I'd never manage it now even if it was possible.
@JudyEv I guess maybe we're not supposed to get everything we would like to have.
@JudyEv Yes, I know what you mean...14 years ago when we moved south we had a 150 x 200 sq. foot garden..next house was 50 x 100, next one was 50 x 50...the current one (4th house) is 8 x 16 raised bed - just one - that's enough!
@sueznewz2 (9997)
• Alicante, Spain
very good slide show... and while I was there I watched about 5 others... I enjoyed them all... I like going to gardens like that... lots of colour and variety....
I'm glad you enjoyed the slide shows. I'm new to the YouTube bit and didn't realise mine all come up on the side.That's pretty cool.
@sueznewz2 (9997)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv it is good isn't it.... ,
Yes I have been to many walled gardens and I love the atmosphere they create. I envy them but since I don't have a gardener I am not tempted to try to create one lol Loved the slide show, felt like I was there myself.
I find them quite fascinating. Some have pipes and a boiler affair to help heat the walls. People in those days were very ingenious.
@JudyEv Not to mention wealthy!! lol
@sofssu (14462)
Lovely pictures.. I love wisterias. Great garden.. i guess its takes a lot to maintain them.
I haven't seen too many white wisterias but this one was just laden with blooms. Very beautiful.
sadly, i've ne'er been to one 's they've not such in these parts. what a masterpiece! cute lil pup showin' ya 'round, eh? no doubt it takes lots'f work to tend such a property. i'd jest move in down there myself, lol. 'n those flowers? i nearly fainted 'n fell off'a my chair 't the sight 'f that white wisteria - bet the aromas waftin' through were jest divine. thanks so much fer takin' me there 'n showin' me 'round, what a beautiful thingy! big
I loved the white wisteria too. Mostly we seen the mauve one here. Glad you enjoyed it.
@GreatMartin (4541)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I love walking through 'stately' gardens. We have the Bonnet Home here in Fort Lauderdale, across from the ocean, that have magnificent gardens with beautiful orchids all over
We joined the National Trust while we were in England and had free entry to many stately homes. We made good use of our ticket.
@wetnosedogs (1557)
Enjoyed the video. Very pretty and cute dog.
I'm glad you enjoyed the video. The little dog would trot ahead and wait for us to catch up.
I love the walled garden, I enjoyed the slideshow, beautiful flowers and a very nice fountain.
I am glad you enjoyed the slideshow. With all the practice I'm getting, they are becoming quite easy now.
@iamshane487 (1163)
• Manila, Philippines
Exploring in the garden is totally enjoying. I love having recreation in this kind of place.
It was very relaxing just wandering around looking at all the plants.
Lots of plants around that sounds really beautiful.
The flowers were very prolific. Everything looked so healthy.