It is a new trend here....

@dpk262006 (56109)
Delhi, India
Hello everyone! This post is dedicated to all those users (old and new both) who have shown the courage to post their own pictures as avatars. It always gets easier to identify their gender and we get to know how do they look in their real life. Their step of posting their own pictures is much appreciated. In the older version of mylot this was not very prevalent, as far as I remember. Nonetheless, the new revamped mylot should have some new trends too and this is one of the positive trends and a welcome step. I hope others will agree with me?
I finally took the courage to have my real picture . It was for me the green hooded lady since then.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, your avatar was also in my mind, when I drafted this post. You showed the courage to come out with your real picture and I am sure this fetches you more responses and comments to your discussions and help you make new friends here. Hats off to you for your courage.
@dpk262006 So it was me you are referring to in this post . Actually , that' because i want them to see that i am already an old woman but still feeling like a young woman always .
@dpk262006 (56109)
@SIMPLYD - Let me clarify, you are one of the courageous lot of mylotters, who showed ample boldness to upload your own picture as your avatar. You are a young woman, do not call yourself old. You are as young as you feel in your heart and mind.
@PhredWreck (6051)
I know I need a more recent photo, this one was from several years ago and I look like a quite much younger Lamb than I really am.
@dpk262006 (56109)
You are one of the most prolific, dedicated and devoted mylotters here so your any avatar will do.
I have to take a good look and realized it's a small lamb indeed !
@dpk262006 Yes , you are so correct in saying that about @PhredWreck .
@Rosekitty (19445)
• San Marcos, Texas
oh really, you expect us to think you are a baby???..ok if you insist..hahaha
@dpk262006 (56109)
Please do not think that I expect you to understand me as a baby. It is just an avatar and I've been using it since I joined mylot.
@Rosekitty (19445)
• San Marcos, Texas
@dpk262006 I know you aren't a baby..i am teasing you
@dpk262006 (56109)
@valmnz (12464)
• New Zealand
I personally prefer to see who I am interacting with, for no other reason that I look at someone's face when I'm talking to them. On the other hand, I'm happy to talk to @boiboing the grey cat below
@boiboing (12207)
• Northampton, England
Miaow Auntie Val - the most important thing is that the picture is one we recognise.
@valmnz (12464)
• New Zealand
@boiboing exactly.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, I agree with you that it becomes more easier to interact when we could see the real picture of a user as his/her avatar. However, if a particular user has not been using his/her real picture as her/his avatar, email is one of the channels to ask for his/her picture, if one is really interested to see how the other one looks.
• Japan
G'day mate! For me, when I started, I used my own photos, but since I realized I can use .gif formatted photo as my profile picture, I tried to make my profile photo moving as well. But I can't seem to make it so. My profile picture should have been moving, drawing the face of this beloved character from a cartoon I like to watch. He he. Anyway, I think most of us can subconsciously guess about a person by their writing in this site as well as looking up at their profiles. Plus, interaction is important as well. You know what? I think it would be epic if myLot will add a photo collection function like in other social medias, but I think that would be far fetched as it would destroy the originality and purpose of the site and make it like other typical social media. So, having one's own avatar profile picture is a matter of preference. Kudos~
@dpk262006 (56109)
If you like the cartoon, it is entirely your prerogative to use is as your avatar. Nonetheless, it is a trendy and catchy avatar. You are even free to upload GIF formatted picture. While interacting with each other on regular basis in most of the cases we come to know about the real gender of the user, I agree with you on this point. In the previous versions of mylot, users were allowed to upload their pictures, however, in the revamped mylot it is not possible. Here on mylot, stress of more on interaction and contents and that should be adhered to in my view.
• Japan
@dpk262006 I see. Thanks for the quick history information. Very well said. Kudos~
@DaddyEvil (23490)
• Aurora, Missouri
I do like to see who I am talking to/with, dpk. Although, I don't mind talking to/with an animal, as that suits my fancy, too. I like the idea of an animal talking to me here on myLot. I really am not fond of the green default avatars so many people use on this site, though. It is very easy to get those people confused with each other and makes it that much harder to see if a friend is here or not. I have noticed so many of the old myLot users are usually the ones using the default avatars, too. I have wondered why that was so, dpk. Can you actually answer that for me, please?
@dpk262006 (56109)
I agree with you that there should be some picture which could either be a user's real picture or a picture of flower/scenery/animal/bird etc. so that a user could be identified. Most of the users use a picture as their avatar. Using default avatar could be confusing and does not look nice. I feel the users who use default avatar are too lazy/shy to post a picture as their profile picture or may be their are indifferent.
@DaddyEvil (23490)
• Aurora, Missouri
@dpk262006 I was afraid that is what you were going to tell me, dpk. I don't like to think it is still default from laziness, but am thinking I must agree with you. I have ask several ppl with default avatars to please put something, anything up instead, but only one changed from default. Oh, well! I tried.
@dpk262006 (56109)
@DaddyEvil This is only logic I could find, therefore, I said it. It is good on your part that you tried to convince some users to put a picture instead of stereotype avatar, however you did not get success.
I posted my 'real' photo. On a previous site I used a photo taken a few years ago but I thought I needed to be upfront and honest.
@dpk262006 (56109)
You undoubtedly look very graceful and beautiful in your current picture, which you have been using as your avatar.
@dpk262006 That is a very kind thing to say although I'm not sure it's quite correct. Are you wearing your glasses?
@dpk262006 (56109)
@JudyEv Irrespective of the fact I was wearing my glasses or not when I wrote my previous comments, I stand by my statement about you. You should believe me.
@poehere (17726)
• French Polynesia
Well now a baby picture sure doesn't look much like you I am sure of this one. I guess I just did it for the heck of it. A lot of times I just post some avatar I have edited and leave it at that.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, my baby picture has nothing do with real me. I adopted this avatar since when I joined mylot and I did not feel like changing it.
@dpk262006 (56109)
@poehere it's not my own picture. However, but I have been told that I used to look as sweet as this baby.
@poehere (17726)
• French Polynesia
@dpk262006 Wow so you were a Gerber baby. How sweet.
@Missmwngi (9583)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Mmmh have yours up as well
@dpk262006 (56109)
Please check your message.
@Missmwngi (9583)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@dpk262006 Ha haa i have checked,no problem
@dpk262006 (56109)
@Missmwngi - Thanks.
@ria1606roy (2688)
• Kolkata, India
I guess there is nothing more appropriate than people identifying me with my own pic and name....it seems to make sense.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, it makes sense and it gets easier to identify a user if his/her own picture has been used as his/her avatar.
• Kolkata, India
@dpk262006 yeah that's true.
@dpk262006 (56109)
• Preston, England
your own picture suggests you are writing very well for a new born baby lol - it is good to see pictures rather than avatars
@dpk262006 (56109)
Your own picture which you have been using as your avatar looks very graceful and decent.
• Preston, England
@dpk262006 it is a standard shot of me performing one of my poems
@dpk262006 (56109)
@arthurchappell yeah, it appears that you are speaking to audience. Great shot indeed.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I usually use my horse or my guitar. Maybe I'll post a picture of me for an hour right now. Then I'll switch back. I have to see my face in the mirror every morning and am rather tired of it.
@dpk262006 (56109)
You are looking great in your own picture. Nice to meet you. Please don't feel bored looking yourself in the mirror. Be sure you look great. It's entirely your choice to use a picture of a horse as your avatar .
@Auntylou (4324)
• Oxford, England
I like this picture, why change again?
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Hope: grossly over-rated. I think I'll stick with my wingtip at 39,000 feet, thank you.
@dpk262006 (56109)
It is entirely your choice to use any picture as your avatar.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@dpk262006 Or to not use one... Just right, in two senses of the word.
@antonbunot (9510)
• Calgary, Alberta
Taken from our family photo album. That's me wearing an old man's mask.
You mean our profile pictures? Well, my above photo was taken when I was 38 . . now I look different . . really old like a hermit.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, our profile picture is our avatar. Do you really look like as you are visible in the uploaded picture?
@Auntylou (4324)
• Oxford, England
You are too clever !
@WorDazza (9818)
• Manchester, England
Just because someone uses a picture of an adult of the same gender as they claim to be doesn't mean it's them!!!
@dpk262006 (56109)
There may be some users who might be using someone else 's picture.
@Auntylou (4324)
• Oxford, England
But I think yours is you
I will not post a picture of myself/ My cat is cuter.
@dpk262006 (56109)
It's entirely up to you to post any pictures. Your responses /comments matter more than anything else.
@salonga (27998)
It is nice to see the real photos for at least we now know or at least have an idea with whom are we actually discussing things with.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, it really helps.
I have always respected the advice given to me not to expose too much of who I am. Also the pictures uploaded here may not be the latest - could be even when they were 20 or 30 years younger (lol). It matters little in a virtual world to know anyone particularly here where we are more into exchanging news and views.
@dpk262006 (56109)
Yes, I agree with all your points that sometimes exposing ourselves could land us in trouble. Also, it is difficult to ascertain whether any user has used her/his latest pictures or the older ones. What matters most is how we exchange thoughts and how we interact with each other, our avatars/profile pictures are for identification purpose only.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I do like that many are using photos of themselves for their avatar, it makes it easier to chat to someone, when I can put a face to a name. But, each to his or her own as they say. :-)
@dpk262006 (56109)
I appreciate your stand as you have been using your own picture as your avatar. You are looking great with your smiling face in the picture. If a particular user has not been using his/her real picture as her/his avatar, email is one of the channels to ask for his/her picture, if one is really interested to see how the other one looks.
@thesids (22363)
• Bhubaneswar, India
I had mine on the earlier MyLot before I locked on with this casper. It goes well with my persona here (as some of them have told me) and that is all. I have my own Pic on facebook and whatsapp. They are the only other two social networks where I exist. Trend? No, it is not a trend, it is just their personal preference (maybe their confidence in themselves and the honesty they want to come here with). Note: I do not mean the opposite for those who do not use their pic as their Avatars, as I too am one of them and I am happy with my Avatar.
@dpk262006 (56109)
I remember that you had used your own picture as your avatar in the older version. You are free to use any image as your avatar.