I am exhausted . are you?

@bunnybon7 (33952)
Holiday, Florida
I just cleaned the 5 gallon fish tank that was unbelievably nasty, foggy and smelly. Those poor little tetra fish my daughter left that I posted about a few months ago. I have a seated walker, I took in there and started by unhooking the filter that's over taxed lately. and proceeded to empty it cup by cup into another container until I caught the fish in it, then switched them to a clean container of water I had. the seated walker was a help because that way I didn't have to carry the weight back and forth. Once I got them safe, the real work began. Several small buckets of dirty water, then the gravel that was the heaviest. then I washed the tank, put in clean gravel, changed the filter, and started filling it again. I am so tired they may have to spend the night in the container I got them in. But they seem ok so far. gotta go lay a while. be back later. what a job pets are
• Marion, Kansas
Fish tanks are huge responsibilities. it is a lot of work for you. Now that water would be good for houseplants as it is pure fertilizer.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
good to know but i barely have energy to take care of fish, coco, and myself. so no house plants unless i figure a way to give the fish away.
@Auntylou (4407)
• Oxford, England
@GardenGerty you are so right, I was even reading that canned tuna water is good for plants, diluted!
• Greece
As practical as ever GardenGerty. Well named too.
@poehere (17801)
• French Polynesia
I have a giant aquarium in my home. It is 120 liters and I use a hose attached to my sink to empty and fill it again. I add the water to the bottom and wash the gravel. If you keep he filters clean the water in the tank can stay clean for so long. I think I clean mine once a year. I also have 2 very large fish that clean the class and agile in the aquarium so it stays nice for so long.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
i wish i had more money to invest in a hose. i thought fish could not cope with water straight from the tap?
@poehere (17801)
• French Polynesia
@bunnybon7 Where I live we don't have chemicals in our water. It is pure mountain water and I do have a product to put in my water. I raise tropical fish here in my aquarium and I change the water about once a year in it. I need to change out the filter and clean this more often but the water in the tank is good for a year if I do this one. Keeping the filters clean sure helps when you have a large tank to clean.
• Preston, England
sounds quite demanding work - glad I don't keep fish
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
ordinarily it wouldn't be but for the challenges i have for doing much of anything. the problem is , my daughter left them when she went back to Florida and i couldn't let them just die
@Auntylou (4407)
• Oxford, England
Me too, Arthur, though I do quite like to see other people's
• Preston, England
@Auntylou oh yes watching fish swimming around can keep my attention for hours
@Auntylou (4407)
• Oxford, England
That sounds like a great deal of work, especially if you are not so good on your legs!
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
it sure is when added to taking care of my own self and a dog
@Ryanskie (213)
I am always exhausted as well. I always have full of workloads per day. But I can always manage to finish them within the day. The rewarding thing is that you are accomplishing something that is useful to us and to our families.Keep inspiring! Kudos!
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
thanks. some people don't realize how hard it is for me to accomplish simple tasks
• Greece
That was a horrible job to tackle, perhaps you could ask your daughter to get a smaller tank or else to clean it out herself. I had a couple of goldfish in my youth, I didn't clean them out often and I still remember that smell....
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
she moved back to florida and left them.
• Greece
@bunnybon7 at least it was just some goldfish, parents often get stuck with dogs and cats that their children have 'outgrown' - goldfish at least are not such a nuisance, you can ignore them most of the time whereas dogs and cats are demanding and they cost a great deal to feed.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
@41CombedaleRoad I know. I am still very attached to and have kept/taken care of a dog my son left me 11 yrs ago. lol
I feel you, cleaning a fish tank is a big job, you should have asked for help, you cannot do this all alone.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
no one here to help. son was home from work but don't like doing much after work.
@bunnybon7 Take it easy, the fish can stay in the container for some more hours.
@Beatburn (3937)
You are tired but for sure happy. And the fish are happier. Must have been tiring!
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
especially for someone as disabled as myself. really had to push myself.
@Beatburn (3937)
@bunnybon7 Really? Oh that's double the difficulty.
@antonbunot (9532)
• Calgary, Alberta
Wow! You must be so exhausted. We don't have an aquarium, even a small one here at home. But our daughter will be coming today to drop their 2 small, cute dogs . . and we will take care of them for 5 days as she and her partner are leaving for the U.S.A for a holiday. Their pets are so cute . .
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
I bet by now you have had a lot more fun with the doggies
My brothers had fish and I always ended up cleaning their bowls out. It is alot of work and the water stinks to.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
so true. it is awful.
@epiffanie (8326)
Sounds like a big job cleaning a fish tank .. Our fishes are in the pond outside..
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
haha. sounds so much easier
@epiffanie (8326)
@bunnybon7 Yes it's very easy. They look after themselves..
@mom210 (5951)
• Atlanta, Georgia
When I had fish, I loved them but boy did I hate cleaning that fish tank.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
may not try it again. it just really done me in. might have to flush them if I can't give them away
@mom210 (5951)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@bunnybon7 The fish store will always take them. We had to do that one time when we were moving, I just gave them to the fish store.
@alberello75 (13569)
• Genova, Italy
Well, in my house, there are three animals. A dog and two guinea pigs. Both of them took my younger brother. Too bad, he does not care them almost never. That take care of these animals, according to him, must be someone else. Excuse me but, in my opinion, it is shameful!
@Auntylou (4407)
• Oxford, England
It is often the case that once the novelty wears off, young pet owners lose interest.
@alberello75 (13569)
• Genova, Italy
@Auntylou In fact, almost always the same thing!
Having fish are fun to watch but certainly hard work when it comes to cleaning the tank
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
yes just like some other things i haven't the energy to take care of, i am thinking if i can give them away as much as i enjoy them
@Rollo1 (16713)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I hate cleaning fish tanks, which is why I won't have one ever again. I have guinea pigs that my daughter left to me, even though she is still here.
@bunnybon7 (33952)
• Holiday, Florida
yes seems we always end up taking care of their pets one way or another. lol
• Portland, Connecticut
lol but at least my sweet doggies give a lot of love in return, fish, not so much!!
@ricki_911 (17844)
• Toronto, Ontario
I did my fish tanks the other day, except I have a 100 gallon tank with turtles, and a few small 2 gallon tanks with bettas. What do you have in the tank? Have you thought about snails? They will reduce the amount you need to clean it. I rarely clean my tank every 6 - 12 months.