The Night that Changed My Life

Crash
@yalul070 (1750)
Manila, Philippines
Maybe that title is a bit over-dramatic, but what happened to me on that fateful night of October 20 was really a life-changing experience. I was coming home late, driving along my usual route, when my car got abruptly stopped by something and with such impact that my face dove onto my steering wheel. For a split second I thought I couldn't see. When my eyesight returned, I still didn't know what happened. Engine breakdown? But why did my nose hurt? Then I realized I hit something. I crashed. I knew it wasn't a person because it stopped my car. The next thing I checked was if there was blood in my face and if I could still feel my legs. I was still in one piece. I still couldn't see what I jammed the car into until the bystanders approached me and pointed at the concrete barrier casually strewn across the street. The place was dark and the barrier was not reflectorized so I did not see it. I knew there were barriers there because I take that damned road every day. It turned out that that piece was dragged there by a truck that hit it the other night. And nobody moved it until it victimized another motorist, and that was me. After three hours of waiting for rescue and getting a police report, I finally got home to my kids. I was still in some state of shock that I couldn't drive. I should have gone straight to the hospital to check if I had a fracture on my face, but I was just too exhausted I wanted to sleep already. The following day I went to a doctor. The good news was my nose was fine. No fracture. But I was given medication for the pain. The bad news was the doctor discovered I have hyperthyroidism and forced me to take a series of tests. So my visit to the doctor did not end that day. How the incident changed the life? I'm sorry but I will have to continue this later. I'm not into writing series but for this one, I will have to. Because I can't do justice to my story if I cram everything into one post. And also because I need to rest for now.
@Freelanzer (9496)
Accidents are always traumatic,glad you are OK
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
thanks. yes, it was a shock. but i'm still very thankful that i was unharmed, physically.
@antonbunot (9547)
• Calgary, Alberta
O, man! This reminds me when I was driving on a very icy road during winter in Kelowna, BC. My car spun 3 times on the middle of the road . . I thought I would crash and die! When it stopped spinning, I just made the sign of the cross and thanked God for saving my life. Good thing no other cars on the road. Whew!
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
that is even scarier! when i had an accident i didn't know what happened. but you, you were probably scared out of your wits while your car was out of control, thinking that you'd die right there and then.
What a terribly scary moment. I understand that the only thing you wanted was to go home and rest in your bed.
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
yes. and hug my kids.
@sugartoes (42048)
• Greencastle, Indiana
oh lord have mercy on you I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt or killed that could be a VERY frightful thing to anyone thank god your alright god was looking out for you there hope everything turns out good at the doc's office for you god bless. & I'd get a hold of who ever is responsible for the barrier & sue them for NOT moving it.
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
well if i live in your country i could sue the government. but not in ours the government is hardly accountable for anything.
@sugartoes (42048)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@yalul070 that's messed up I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad to hear your o.k from it all take care & maybe find another route so you don't have another day like that so how bad is the car?? can it be fixed?
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
@sugartoes thanks! the car has become unusable. it can be fixed but it will take time so i'm taking public transportation to go to work nowadays.
Oh it's a good thing nothing serious happened to you ! I must say you are so courageous to have done all that by yourself . And do you agree that it was a blessing in disguise because you got to have a check-up and discovered you have hyperthyroidism ?
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
thanks! yeah nothing serious happened. oh i have hyperthyroidism for 5 years now. i stopped treating it so the doctor scolded me and forced me into treatment.
@yalul070 Didn't it make you lose weight ? That's one of the effects of having that .
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
@SIMPLYD yup 5 years ago i really shed weight. but i have already recovered from it, or so I think.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Bed enough if you saw it coming and knew what was happening, but that must have been very frightening.
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
yup. i remember i even checked if i really made it out alive.
Oh wow I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident and did the barrier finally get moved out of the way ?
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
yeah, it was moved after my accident
Wow that was quite a scary night for you. Looking forward to read what\s next.
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
it was. nights after that i couldn't sleep because the moment i closed my eyes the accident would replay in my mind.
• Preston, England
how awful - glad your injuries were not more serious and I hope the car is either repairable or replaceable
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
i'm fine. thanks. the car is reparable but the process of repairing it will take long so i have to commute to work right now.
• Preston, England
@yalul070 so sorry it happened and fortunate no one else was in the car too in some ways
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
@arthurchappell yes, that would have been more traumatic if another person was hurt.
It is sometimes a bad coincidence that reveals a problem with out health.
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
exactly. so somehow it is still a blessing in disguise.
@moondebi (1209)
• Bangalore, India
Take care! Some incidents keep ever-lasting memories.
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
thanks. this one, yes, have long-term effects on me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sounds like it was a lucky break in a peculiar way. Now you can manage your thyroid condition, I hope. But I must wait...
@yalul070 (1750)
• Manila, Philippines
hmmm i know i have a thyroid condition. on the contrary, i thought i already recovered from it. i will write a post on this one next.